It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:48 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Someone stole my route
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:46 pm 

Gentlemen

I think it's time we start re-thinking how we go about new route ethics.

There are so many random documented routes out there. It's becoming really hard to climb something without some tool telling you that you climbed his/her route. I'm certainly not advocating modifying the rock in any way on your ascent, but this little ego game of new routing is getting a bid sad. I don't care about another grade 20 up some remote chosspile. Do something interesting, or keep it to yourself.

In short, publicize the classic lines out there which are ground-breaking (...and get a new pair of shoes from your sponsor...), but how about leaving some areas specifically undocumented, so that future climbers can have the thrill of heading up an unknown face?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:54 pm 

Did someone steal your line or are you sour grapes because you were too slow on grabbing the line first?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:08 pm 

I'm sorry, you're going to have to explain your moaning a bit for those out there that aren't that sharp. Please? What are you on about?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:45 pm 

I'm with pierre, what is it exactly that you're saying?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:26 pm 

yea DaveG what has got your knickers in such a knot!? And i don't know if you haven't noticed but the majority of the climbing community do care about those 20's and are excited to hear about someone's success on their FA, and the possibility of really enjoying climbing on said new route! Even the title of your post calls for more documentation! If you had documented the route no one could have stolen it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:09 pm 

Ja Dave, mabe find your own new area & you can dictate the policy there. But it is mighty difficult for us to keeping you from reading route discriptions...you don't have to...you choose to. WTF are we suposed to do to stop you?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:53 pm 

best keep it secret dude...or I may just come put up a VF right across it :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:15 pm 

Friends...

I read once that on Baffin Island route descriptions are not published, so that each party can have the adventure of finding the new route.

That sounds pretty cool to me...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:24 pm 

The horse has bolted on that one I'm afraid. Table Mountain, Wolfberg, Yellowwood and Yosemite being good examples. Everyone enjoys a FA under their belt, nothing wrong with that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:27 pm 

There are so many random forum posts out there. I wish people would stop writing them.

Dude, if your evil guidebook is forcing you to read it (I know! They just open themselves and flap into your face like that!), please dispose of at your nearest post office (mark it P.O.Box 8451, Rivonia, 2128). If its a guide I don't have, postage will be refunded. I will make sure it gets the treatment it deserves.

Last edited by pierre.joubert on Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:29 pm 

Surely nothing stops you from just heading into a trad area without any knowledge of that area and start climbing. If you don't care about FA there plenty of adventure to be had out there. In fact the is plenty of adventure and FA to be had in anyway, with so much untouched rock.