It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:11 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Why VF?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:55 am 

As a relative new climber i don't understand how a via feratta is relevent to climbing, i don't understand why anyone would rather walk up a steel wire, then go climbing for real? Its like ordering a double brandy and coke, but adding 2L of coke so that your 4 year old can drink out of the same jug as you.

So this brings me to my point i believe with my very limited knowledge of mountaineering and climbing, that a VF is something that has purely commercial benefit, ie allow a large number of people to access a place that they would normally not be able to, and make they job of a guide a whole lot easier. $$$

Or can someone point in the direction of a legal VF that will change my mind?

Post subject: Re: Why VF?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:03 am 

Mmmmmm brandy and coke!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:16 am 

Perhaps you should read the other 8 pages on this topic and you will realize that there are slightly differing opinions on this.... not sure how constructive it is to start yet another thread on this tired debate??

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:26 am 

Thanks josh! Should have done that was just a bit much to read it all :thumleft:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:31 am 

Via Ferrates (plural) or Klettersteige in German are a great way for non-climbers to enjoy the mountains.
They are *the* way for hikers to enjoy access to mountains that they would not otherwise be able to get to.

VFs are extremely popular in the Alps. Literally thousands of them. Read Snorts post somewhere about the history.

I have done a few of them. I found them a lot of fun because you can move extremely fast, aren't encumbered by climbing gear, safer too. The 'safer' statement will surely get debated here at nauseam with fall factors, bladibla.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/Articles/Ge ... on_47.html

The benefit is access to the mountains for non-climbers.
So the impact to tourism is huge. Every hiker can do a VF if they can handle the exposure.
It's opening up the mountains to a whole new segment of the population.
Google the term. http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Via_ferrata
The Lions Head chains route, or the India Venster Route on TM are in effect small VFs imho.
They allow hikers to get up there safely and without specialized climbing equipment.

The downside is of course iron and steel everywhere.

Last edited by robertbreyer on Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:53 am 

Its not the steel.
Its the fact that it opens up these areas to a whole new level of LCD (lowest common denominator).
Its like building a tar road up the wolfberg cracks so that every oke in his golf can get to the top instead of hiking up.
Imagine what the effect will be.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:09 am 

McJagger wrote:
As a relative new climber i don't understand how a via feratta is relevent to climbing, i don't understand why anyone would rather walk up a steel wire, then go climbing for real? Its like ordering a double brandy and coke, but adding 2L of coke so that your 4 year old can drink out of the same jug as you.

You are a wise man. Do not let others change your mind. Make it up for yourself.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:32 am 

As Robert and others have said, VF are NOT relevant to climbing, they are relevant to hiking.
In the same way that climbers hike, some climbers have travelled VFs...
We need to convince land managers of this so that climbers don't get affected by access issues due to VFs.

They do become relevant to climbing when they interfere with existing climbing routes, but this should not be a problem if due process is followed (as per the VF doc - pg 6 of the great VF debate).

Regards,
Bruce