Quantcast
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:07 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Graffiti
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:26 pm 

Please register your support or disaproval of the graffiti mat/spray paint initiative at the Rory....see SANCF Face Book site.

I'm against! of course... There must be better/more fun stuff to do with the youth... That does not involve spray cans.

Post subject: Re: Graffiti
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:34 pm 

Why do you have a problem with it?

I think the kids will enjoy it..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:51 pm 

Look I understand that there is negative connotations related to graffiti but as long as they don't tag private property and / or nature I see very little wrong with the event; they are simply tagging purchased mats.

The only problem that I can see, and it is a fairly large one, is that by using non-CFC Free or lead based spray paints the event does indirectly 'harm' the environment. Not a massive impact mind you but and impact none the less. Perhaps a call for use of only the eco-friendly type? Any suppliers of such a beast in SA?

Just a thought rather than a retaliation but use it as you choose :thumright

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:39 pm 

Years ago I used to run a Venture Club which took kids aged around 8-13 years old climbing.
When we went climbing at Silvermine I would stop the group before the crag near the edge of the cliff (big beautiful drop below).
I'd tell everyone to collect a few pine cones (when there were still Pines there). I would check to see that there was no one below and then tell everyone to throw their pine cones off the cliff.

Afterwards I never had a problem with kids launching objects from the crag :thumleft:

Maybe it will be the same with the Graffiti ?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:12 pm 

Ja...what's the harm in promoting graffiti?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:31 pm 

It's more about getting it off peoples minds...

let me put it in like this.. if you let the kid handle a firearm in a controlled (safe) environment, the kid is much less likely to go and play with it without you being there (the curiosity is removed).

My theory anyway :eye:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:26 pm 

Graffiti itself can be a highly creative art form and tool of self-expression. That said, it is important to do so in a controlled environment where it is allowed rather than simply destroying private property for no apparent, non-malicious, reason.

There are many 'graffiti friendly' zones throughout the world where people are afforded the opportunity to create their works without it being negative in any way.

Those people who conduct graffiti with malicious intent are generally being reckless, immature, and intentionally anti-establishment. This does not mean, however, that all 'tag artists' are criminals.

Allowing people to practice this art form legally and in front of the public eye it creates a positive recognition of creativity and artistic freedom that could ultimately result in less illicit tagging activity and more organised 'tagging events'.

Those with intent to break the law will do so anyway, that doesn't mean that 'The Rory' is a poor platform to allow individuals or groups to have fun and be creative.

Matt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:37 pm 

There's a big difference between Street Art and 'tagging'. An area being 'legal' for street art is not important. Street art makes our drab, boring, dull cities come alive. A world with out art would be a sad place.

Marshall, kid's learning to express themselves should be encouraged, regardless of the medium. Art is universal. This initiative stimulates creativity. Sitting in front of an Xbox all day is the worst thing you can let a child do.

Here is some awesome street art. Tell me you'd rather have a drab wall instead. Live a little. http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/09 ... -artworks/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:32 pm 

I've cleaned off graffiti at a few crags. Its hard work. I can't see the art.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:36 pm 

The Rory Tag Mats offer those who have artistic talent a chance to be recognised. It also helps the school teams produce something that identifies themselves that they can take home after the event. Not only the climbers from the schools but all friends can be part of the fun activity, which gives other people some recognition in an non-physical area. This is an alternative type of activity which brings balance to the physically demanding weekend.

We purchased 40 top quality German spray cans called Montana-cans. (See www.montana-cans.com) which are used by top graffiti artists. The cans are all certified CFC free and conform to ASTM D-4236 Standards. We have awesome colours, including 3 huge cans of Crome Silver. All cans will have to be returned at the end of the session. The spray cans will not be allowed out of the spraying area.

Since the early 20th century different media have been accepted in the creation of art. With technology comes progress in art as well. Art is not only about oil paint. If Michaelangelo was alive today he would also be using the most up to date media for wall painting.

I am proud that we at the SANCF are progressive and in-tune with young thinking.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:39 pm 

Neil,
That's great. Really really cool. I hope you post some of the artworks on this site.

Marshall, I hear your POV. I hate 'tags' from selfish little fools. Try not to see well thought out graffiti & street art as the same thing. London wouldn't be the same without Banksy. Cape Town wouldnt be the same without Mak. Be cool

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:09 am 

You guys should come check out the Exploratio Boulder Cave. We just finished painting it.
We got Jared Perreira to paint it with graffiti sketches. It looks incredible!

This is a good example of how this activity could directly spark some creative thinking at the school's boulder caves and gyms.

If you'd like to have a professional paint your cave or gym, look him up or ask me.

Cant wait for the Rory!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:28 am 

I'm still busy removing grafitti from Main Cave at Howissens. Not fun. Cleaned Short Circuit Cave a few years back.

Art lessons at school were fun because it was better than normal class...you could really stuff around. On a climbing weekend art lessons are lame...not progressive.

SANCF endorses graffiti. Cool & progressive.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:00 am 

Dereck, can't you just view this as an artistic outlet? If it was fingerpainting would you be as upset? Not everyone who picks up a spray can is going to turn into some graffiti vandal. That's like expecting everyone who picks up a knife is going to be a murderer.
I was allowed to paint pictures on my bedroom walls as a kid and I've never graffiti'ed public property.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:13 am 

I'm gonna agree with Neil and Illona on this one. I think it's a great idea if the kids will respect the intentions of it. As I wrote that sentence, three words popped out as a bit of a oxymoron: Kids; Respect; Intentions. Hmmm. We'll see.

The idea is awesome, we'll just have to see if it works out as it is intended.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:27 pm 

derek, the graffiti @ howwies is nothing but names and dates. this is not what is goin on here. there is a HUGE difference between writing your name on something and actual pieces. This is not to say that people should go paint on rocks and trees.. i dont think anyone here would agree with that, but equating stupid "i was here 1965" (as well as tagging) on a rock to a actual piece of work is ignorant, reductionist, and reactionist.

we can get into a long debate on ownership of public spaces, freedom of speech and expression, etc, but these all relate to the urban environment... personally, i find huge bulliten board adds forcing their voices into my face more offensive than interesting pieces.. in my experience, the majority of graf on crags has been perpetrated by older people (young adults, to middle aged ones)... usually relating to outdoor churches and religious, or narcissistic muppets who think the world cares they were around.

Kids with spray cans and and artistic inclinations do not automatically equate to writing on crags, and maybe an event like this will keep the writing on the walls, and not on the rocks.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:48 pm 

lets hope the kids who take part don't realize that the real graffiti fun is the challenge of leaving a mark & getting away with it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:31 pm 

I think the spraypaint idea is awesome. I for one would love the opportunity to try out an alternative art form - it does not mean that I am going to go out and graffiti every free space I find...

There will always be those who go and screw up beautiful things, like crags, for kicks. Trying out spraypainting is not going to turn people into "taggers", much like learning to make a decent braai does not turn you into an arsonist.

Guy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:43 pm 

Whoops, double post.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:57 pm 

Marshall is onto something. Kids should never be trained to use spray cans let alone knives, the internet, cars or any other irresponsible equipment.

Illona and Guy, all those muderers and arsonists were trained from a young age by their mothers and the SANCF!

(all the innocents were clearly guided by MARSHALL :roll: )

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:35 pm 

woah! i know montana cans... thats some quality stuff! lucky lucky kids!!!

hey Neil, could i get some leftovers... think some crags could do with some colour :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:00 am 

Just to let everyone know - the graffiti went down a treat. It kept the kids entertained for an afternoon and they really got into it. Many creative designs came out and no kids were seen running off into the mountains with spray cans. I hope pictures of the event will be posted and I hope they decide to do it again next year.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:58 pm 

RAR RAR RAR RAR opinions RAR RAR RAR RAR

ebert nel
- enjoying wasting time reading your opinions since 1995