It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:25 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:32 pm 

The "friendly" leopard of Yellowwood Amphitheater has made his or her thrilling acquaintance with several climbers in the last year or so - see my article, African Time in the June-August issue of SA Mountain magazine (see http://www.walkinginbalance.blogspot.com/2012/02/things-that-go-growl-in-night.html) and Any Wood's article Nighttime visitor in the latest (2011) MCSA Journal, as well as previous posts on the Climbza forum http://www.climbing.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6887&hilit=hey+pussy+pussy. This leopard's behaviour seems highly unusual for a Cape Mountain leopard.

The Cape Leopard Trust is an NGO doing conservation research on Cape Mountain leopards, and using camera traps to identify individual leopards. The Boland section of the project has so far identified 52 different individual leopards in the Boland mountains.

Given our intense interaction as climbers with this particular leopard in the Du Toits Kloof Mountains, I thought it would be great if the climbing community (particularly those who love to climb in Du Toits) gathered the funds to put up a camera trap at Yellowwood and thereafter serviced the camera (battery changes and data downloads) on climbing trips up there. In this way we can learn more about this particularly unusual leopard, and contribute to the conservation of these stunning creatures with which we share our beloved mountains. The Cape Leopard Trust is very keen for us to do this, as it will usefully supplement their data collection in the Boland.

We require about R3,500 to put up a camera. We can easily collect this if climbers club together. If you are willing to contribute towards this, please contact me at johannlanz at vodamail dot co dot za. I will collect the funds and arrange to set up the camera. All those making donations will be kept up to date with what we see and learn up there.

Also feel free to comment, make suggestions etc on this forum to give the initiative some energy.

Thanks, Johann

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:33 am 

That's a cool idea, I'm in.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:09 am 

Since my request for donations, I have received R2,150 in deposits into my account.

Many thanks to: Rolfe Eberhard, Chris Jansen, Snort / City Rock, Douw Steyn, Eve Watson, Adam Roff, & Rob Zipplies.

A number of additional people indicated that they were also keen to contribute and be a part of this project. I am just chasing up those who have not yet made a deposit, to do so. And if there is any body else who also wants to join in, please contact me. With the good interest shown, we should achieve the target of around R3,500.

I will make updates as the project progresses. Looking forward to heading out there soon to set up the camera, and then to see what images it delivers.

Johann

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:46 pm 

Hi Johan.

This is not about leopards, but about your article you wrote which is why I am coming down to Cape Town in December. I can't find your email, so email me at basecamp@telkomsa.net

Gerald

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:27 pm 

After a few unplanned delays, we finally got the camera up and operating at Yellowwood on Friday, while the other side of the Du Toits valley burned. I chose to start with it down below the amphitheatre, and have mounted it where the path goes through the forest against a little cliff. The location of the camera is important to optimize sightings. It should be somewhere where most passing traffic is forced to follow a single path. I think this position is a good one, but it will depend on whether our friend is visiting that part of its territory. The camera is trained on a tree which the leopard scratches as part of its territory marking. We will capture it passing along the path beside the tree as well as scratching the tree if it does.

The set up team

There did not appear to be any very recent scratch marks on the tree, and scat in the are is old. If we don't capture the leopard in this area, I will move the camera up where the path goes around Smalblaar Ridge or in the vicinity of the Smalblaar Ridge bivvy site. It's just a little less accessible for battery changes up there.

The camera in its new home

The camera works on motion detection, and it will be triggered by anything travelling the path. It will be interesting to see what other species all use that path. You should spot the camera if you're going up to Yellowwood. And it will record your passing. Don't get a fright if you pass in the dark. The camera has quite a potent flash.

I will probably head up there out of inquisitiveness in the next few weeks to see what we've captured. The batteries last about a month, or more I think. But if you are going up to Yellowwood and are up for doing a memory card swap, let me know. Also please keep a look out for any leopard activity and signs, and let me know what and where you see anything.

Now if you'll just step this way...

Every individual leopard has a unique rosette pattern, like human fingerprints. So when we get a shot of our leopard, the Cape Leopard Trust will be able to identify whether it is one that has already appeared on other cameras in the general area, or whether it is a new one. There have been, or are, cameras to the south on Fisantekraal, on the way to Agtertafelberg, and to the north along the upper Witte Rivier Valley (Springstuigbeugel). To fully record a new leopard, we need to get photos from both sides, as they differ.

The Yellowwood camera was made possible by donations from Chris Jansen, Snort / City Rock, Rolfe Eberhard, Douw Steyn, Eve Watson, Adam Roff, Rob Zipplies, Herman van Zyl, Rob McKay, Ant Hall, Roger Diamond & Brendan Argent. Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:01 pm 

Good work! Not sure about the ethics of using children as live bait though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:18 pm 

Great work, Johan, thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:12 pm 

Turns out Alex Honnold and Hazel Findlay are not the only cool sightings up Yellowwood recently!

Attachments:
Cdy00043.JPG
Cdy00043.JPG [ 135.8 KiB | Viewed 1771 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:14 pm 

Mother

Attachments:
Cdy00020.JPG
Cdy00020.JPG [ 169.87 KiB | Viewed 1771 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:15 pm 

And cub

Attachments:
Cdy00030.JPG
Cdy00030.JPG [ 120.56 KiB | Viewed 1771 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:05 am 

Beautiful!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:10 am 

Awesome! Are you in touch with the Cape Leopard Trust?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:16 am 

That's insane. What a place we live in!! 8)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:47 am 

check out this story read about an encounter some guys had with a Yellowwood leopard - Hey Pussy Pussy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:03 am 

Walked past that spot 3 times in the last 2 weeks. Great to know we can share the place with them....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:06 am 

That is so incredible, amazing to see baby cub too ! long may this last please.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:17 pm 

Brilliant, made my day. And fantastic quality images too.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:59 pm 

Nice going Johan and everyone mentioned below :thumleft:
* The Yellowwood camera was made possible by donations from Chris Jansen, Snort / CityROCK, Rolfe Eberhard, Douw Steyn, Eve Watson, Adam Roff, Rob Zipplies, Herman van Zyl, Rob McKay, Ant Hall, Roger Diamond & Brendan Argent. Thank you.

Link :arrow: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... all_create

Attachments:
cape_leopard_trust_climb_za.jpg
cape_leopard_trust_climb_za.jpg [ 37.11 KiB | Viewed 938 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:08 pm 

Whoever this is (attached), look at who was just behind you (also attached)!

Attachments:
Cdy00108.JPG
Cdy00108.JPG [ 169.52 KiB | Viewed 388 times ]
Cdy00109.JPG
Cdy00109.JPG [ 161.67 KiB | Viewed 388 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:26 pm 

Awesome!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:37 pm 

That was Deon and I when we had just climbed Extra Time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:44 pm 

The lower pic is Johan and I after we climbed Divine Time :-)

Seriously though, there is something very special about not ever seeing them, but knowing that they are there...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:28 pm 

That's my back pack and leg still attached.

Deon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:33 pm 

ant wrote:
Seriously though, there is something very special about not ever seeing them, but knowing that they are there...

You forgot about Hey Pussy Pussy (Andy snack) thread :P