It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:47 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Rocklands
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:06 am 

As with most governmental organizations CNC do not, in certain areas, do their job properly. Take Rockland’s for instance: CNC have increased the price of permits to climb in the area to R 70 yet I have never seen a CNC officer in the area enforcing any type of law.

Why pay R70 if it is not going to be used to manage the area properly?
I think when it comes to bouldering, most will agree that Rockland’s is being over-climbed, with thousands of euros attacking the place like it is the new V&A Waterfront. On a good day the place is a circus.

It is starting to take it's effect on the environment. People are making their own paths destroying vegetation and the popular problems are being climbed to pieces.

If they are going to charge you R70 for a permit or R300 odd for a wildcard then make sure there is CNC presence, permits are monitored and the area managed correctly. Even if this means closing the area to climbing over certain periods (I actually think this is the correct approach and should be implemented).

If we don’t look after Rockland’s this gem will be gone in 20 years from now. I don't give a rats *ss who discovered the place, the rest of the world DON'T have the right to come and take over and do as they please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:17 am 

Hear Hear! Thanks Jeanpant, I totally agree with that. Is CNC completely aware of the damage done? 70 bucks a permit, even the R300 for a wildcard, times the amount of climbers currently visiting Rocklands equals a substantial amount that can be used towards proper access control and better area managing. Maybe if we as a climbing community (we can all love each other just this once) approach CNC and make propositions such as these (periodic area shutdown for example,but there are more) we can get the ball rolling in the right direction, and sooner.

We have to start thinking long-term with areas such as Rocklands, especially if you take the amount of damage already done in the popular areas, which are relatively small considering the amount of rock there that's still unexpored!

Post subject: ROCKLANDS IMPACT
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:34 am 

I'm glad to see other people have noticed the wear and tear that this awesome place is enduring. Why must climbers take shortcuts and create all the unnecessary paths - are we in a rush?

Reality is Cape Nature have not, do not and will not put much effort into any climbing area. I'm not trying to defend them, but they have bigger fish to fry. So we as climbers need to manage Rocklands ourselves and make sure that climbers stick to the path, don't damage the sensitive fynbos [pick up your bouldering mat] etc etc. The big problem is foreign climbers, and we need to educate them by means good signage. But lets not forget that locals aren't innocent. The MCSA is trying to improve the signage at entrances to all our crags to instill good behaviour at crags,

If you want to to add value:
1] Stick to the paths
2] Don't drag your mats around
3] Don't damage the fynbos
4] Get hold of Guy Holwill who is the MCSA bouldering rep and offer to help with tangible actions.
5] Support the MCSA to represent you