What type of rock is it?

Ask. Answer. Discuss. Any bolting related issues.
ironclimb

What type of rock is it?

Post by ironclimb » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:43 am

Over the Christmas period I went to go see family near Paulpietersburg (Northern KZN) and while out exploring I found a great cliff on a friends farm. My intention is to go back there sometime and put in some top rope anchors and enjoy the routes and possibly bolt a line if it's worth it. I spoke to my friend regarding the type of rock and my impression was that the rock was quite hard, but he disagreed saying it's sandstone and therefore it's soft.

I was just curious if there's anyone who's been in the area who can comment on the rock type and it's hardness? (it's the same rock type as that on Paulpietersburg / Dumbe's mountain). In the end, it's probably always safer to assume the rock is much softer than you think.

I've got a (poor) pic of the cliff somewhere, will post it as soon as I can find it.

ironclimb

Re: What type of rock is it?

Post by ironclimb » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:49 am

Ok, I found it. It's really high, my guess is it's a bit more than 30 meters.
IMG-20161226-WA0013.jpg
IMG-20161226-WA0013.jpg (144.64 KiB) Viewed 712 times

Old Smelly

Post by Old Smelly » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:08 am

I am sure we have a few Geologists and knowledgeable types who can help you... but just to say that sandstone comes in may different forms and hardness's. Sometimes the soft stuff is in the same cliff as the good brick hard stuff, so it is hard to say even by looking at pictures...

Also all cliffs don't yield good climbing. So what I am saying is that you would only know by going and Top Roping some routes on those cliffs whether it would be worthwhile bolting there. The lines may not be good or the grips not sufficient to allow one to find a route up the face. So don't be discouraged but the best idea is to go and create some BOMBER Top Anchors and see if its clime-able! :thumright
Really, its not that bad...I think it's my shoes...

hendriks

Post by hendriks » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:48 am

If you can tell me exactly where it is I can have a look at the geological maps of the area for you.

That is likely Vryheid fm or maybe Clarens fm sandstone so between Permian (+-290Ma) to Jurrassic (+- 150Ma) in age. Cant say without having an accurate location. Either way it is going to be similar to the sandstone you get in the Karoo and Drakensberg and I suspect not going to be the best rock quality.

You might be lucky though and find another Swinburne :hapban

ironclimb

Post by ironclimb » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:21 am

Thanks hendriks, I'm not sure my friend would appreciate me placing the location in a public forum? But I did send you a PM with the location :thumright

hendriks

Post by hendriks » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:33 am

No worries.

More than likely it is Vryheid fm. So sandstone similar to what you would see in the Karoo. About 220-200Ma old if I'm correct and I suspect rock quality will be very variable but mostly not great I think.
It has made a clean looking cliff though so sometimes that means the rock is better quality (else it would not last long as a cliff).

Arydigital

Post by Arydigital » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:00 pm

If you can tell me exactly where it is I can have a look Ary Tv
at the geological maps of the area for you.