Stainless Steel chains

Ask. Answer. Discuss. Any bolting related issues.
Againstthegrains

Stainless Steel chains

Post by Againstthegrains »

I am currently doing a some bolting on the sea cliffs at Mossel bay, which require the use of 316 stainless steel anchors. We are using 45mm threaded glue in U-bolts, but are a bit concerned about the eventual wear on the top anchors. I remember similar bolts were used at the flying is fun crag at Boven and after a few years you could see that the top anchors were starting to show some wear on the high traffic climbs. I think the cheapest solution is to thread 2 links of stainless steel chain through top anchor bolt before you glue it in, or 4 so that you can cut the lower one off if it wears out.

Can anybody make a suggestion/recommendation as to where the cheapest place is to order stainless steel chains from? 8 or 10mm

Nic Le Maitre

Re: Stainless Steel chains

Post by Nic Le Maitre »

Chain isn't actually very cheap because you have write-off a link every time you cut off a length.

City Rock have fairly cheap stainless rings which you should be able to add to the U bolt. They wear more slowly than chain since they rotate and don't stay still like chain.
Happy climbing
Nic
justin

Post by justin »

Nic is correct. In addition to loosing links of chain, stainless steel chain is very expensive.

You are better of connecting with a (rated) maillon (see pic below, the anchor on the left).
The ring can be removed when/if it becomes worn (rings last longer than any other shape of top anchor).

justin@CapeTownClimbing.com
mokganjetsi

Post by mokganjetsi »

anybody ever had to replace a ring? to me it seems like they last forever..... :thumleft:
ps: just secure the mailon with loctite or similar
Againstthegrains

Post by Againstthegrains »

Can you guys give me an indication of price?

This is a self-funded project, so I'm trying to keep costs down, but still do the right thing so that the routes are safer for longer.

If I buy 1m of 10mm 316 stainless chain at say R500/m, I get 36 links per m and if I cut every 3rd link to get two link pieces to put onto the U bolts (no maillon required if I do it before I glue it, then I get 12 x 2 link pieces which works out to R42 per piece or R84 per route.

Are the rings any cheaper?

Does anybody know if I can get 10mm 316ss chain for less than R500/m.

WRT wear, I agree, a ring wears better, but a chain you can reverse the ring to double the lifespan. Also a 10mm chain will take at least 32% longer to wear than an 8mm bolt.
stingrei

Post by stingrei »

For longevity at a cost use the petzl stainless glue in with integrated stainless rings. Alternately use ss 316 10mm maillon with a stainless ring. They’re 70 each for stainless maillon. Cheaper than the non stainless 8mm sold through climbing shops. They’re used to hold spinnakers and tons of weight. Justin; the normal maillons corrode in zip time. Even in Montagu they show whitening and crystals after a month or two
Last edited by stingrei on Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nic Le Maitre

Post by Nic Le Maitre »

Off the top of my head we paid around R46 per ring. Remember to use the same grade of SS as the bolt to reduce corrosion.
Happy climbing
Nic
Nic Le Maitre

Post by Nic Le Maitre »

Againstthegrains wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:36 am WRT wear, I agree, a ring wears better, but a chain you can reverse the ring to double the lifespan.
Umm that's not how it works. If you wear one end of the chain, you can't just flip it 180 and carry on since the worn side is carrying load too. Unless you go flip the chain links on some schedule you'll never even out the wear.
Happy climbing
Nic
thewildwithin

Post by thewildwithin »

Hey Nic, if you like I can sponsor the stainless steel rings, these are made by a supplier in cape town who has tested them. please drop me an email if you are interested to aidan@ab.design.
Forket

Post by Forket »

Anchor Industries in Cape town is the cheapest high quality SS316 a while back when I went looking.

E