It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:16 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Bolting tools
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:33 am 
Hi,can anyone please tell me where to borrow or rent a hilti drill.We are putting up a few awesome new routes but the drill's battery have had enough. Thanx

Post subject:
Renting will cost and you will need to buy a new battery anyway, so: Go down to the hardware store and pick up two alarm batteries, tape them together and link them with wire (so you draw with from both batteries). Wire these to your drill and you're sorted (this may entail opening your drill to get the wires connected). The batteries can be recharged obviously. Hope this helps.

Post subject:
If it's a Hilti 36V you will probably need 3 batteries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:34 am 
You could use lead acid batteries (and you will need three X 12v) but the drills are not designed to be run off this power source. If your drill is new I suggest sticking to original manufaturer equipment as other batteries will void the warranty. But hey if its an old drill... Otherwise the Mountain club has a new Makita available to members. Would be cheaper to join the cub than buy new batteries!

Post subject:
Oh yeah if you go for alarm batteries get the sealed units with gel rather than water inside as the unsealed units will leak acid into your bag (not cool!)You will need to connect them in series; ie if the batteries are placed together in a row connect the positive of the first to the negative of the second, the + of the 2nd to the - of the 3rd and the spare terminals from the 1st & 2nd to the drill.

Post subject:
oops!...spare terminals from the 1st & 3rd batteries...

Post subject:
Ramset have really cheap 24V drills if using Greg's battery story. I have 2 of these drills...no problem...cost R1600 about 2 years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:35 am 
Details on where to get one please.
Also how many holes do you get per battery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:35 am 
Alot depends on the rock type. With the standard factory battery not that many 9-11 holes in Montagu rock. With two alarm bateries or 2 12 volt motor cycle batteries about 23-25 holes. I always bought mine fron Ramset PE 041-3730174, but there is a CT branch(head office Actualy)