The Water-Bowline

Techniques for all kinds of climbing, Learn new moves. Share your training secrets, find out how other people are getting strong, and get motivated!
KieranKP

The Water-Bowline

Post by KieranKP » Fri May 12, 2017 1:50 pm

Anyone here got any experience with using the water bowline over the figure 8. The knot appeals to me because its not as easy to mess up as the bowline or double bowline and it still comes loose much easier than the figure 8. Anyone using it, had trouble with it, not like it, etc.
Thanks 8)

Gustav

Re: The Water-Bowline

Post by Gustav » Fri May 12, 2017 1:59 pm

"If you can't tie good knots, tie lots!"

If you properly tie it off with a half-a-double-fishermans, you are essentially using 3 knots every time you tie in! I have been using this knot to tie in for over a decade and love it but I still use a fig 8 for trad climbing.
Gustav
Roc 'n Rope Adventures
Waterval Boven
013 257 0363
climb @t rocrope dot com

KieranKP

Post by KieranKP » Fri May 12, 2017 2:14 pm

Gustav wrote:"If you can't tie good knots, tie lots!"

If you properly tie it off with a half-a-double-fishermans, you are essentially using 3 knots every time you tie in! I have been using this knot to tie in for over a decade and love it but I still use a fig 8 for trad climbing.

Nice Gustav, ive been contemplating using it for quite some time, i used it over the last weekend in boven and i got some funny looks and comments from people who saw i was using it, each to their own i suppose. Just made me wonder if there was something that i didnt know about the knot, but im coming to think that they just didnt understand it, so thanks for that :thumright

Gustav

Post by Gustav » Fri May 12, 2017 2:31 pm

It actually is just a conversation starter and ... :jocolor:
Gustav
Roc 'n Rope Adventures
Waterval Boven
013 257 0363
climb @t rocrope dot com

Don

Post by Don » Sat May 13, 2017 11:16 am

I just find its not a common knot that people know, so they cant check your knot. so tie it right.

PeterHS

Post by PeterHS » Sat May 13, 2017 1:06 pm

RyanKarate

Post by RyanKarate » Sun May 14, 2017 3:52 pm

Iv come to love the double bowline and use it where ever I can. Backup up with a tunnel knot obviously.

Iv been tieing it the same way you would for a "one handed bowline" but double loop around. (YouTube it if you don't know it) and it's awesome to adjust how close it is to your harness after tieing the knot. Getting it close as possible to my harness helps me with leading more efficiently when grabbing the rope to clip in a panic. Tie the tunnel knot between the bowline and your harness and I feel it gets less in your way than a fig 8 with the tunnel knot above the knot.

What I really like about the one handed way is that you can learn to be efficient in tieing it mostly by feeling - memorise the hand movement and its good every time. Whether I was really paying visual attention or not. Visual check before climbing as well (don't get complacent). I try teach my belayer the knot and then they usually end up using it as well over the fig 8.

Fig 8 I feel if I looked away for a second to add to the conversation around me or had a slight lapse in focus at the time, I almost lose where I was in tieing the knot.

Prefer the unconsciously competent feeling/skill as opposed to having to be consciously competent/focused everytime I tie in.