Quantcast
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:09 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:48 am 

I can't climb at the moment because of a re-occurring shoulder injury that has plagued me over the past few months. I'm looking for something that I can use to exercise my forearms, and to get that \"pumpy\" feeling.
Apparently the Powerball ( [url]http://www.powertoys.co.za/product.htm[/url]) is a device that both exercises your forearms, and gives that pump-effect.

Has anybody tried training with this device, does it actually work?
If not, are there any other training exercises that I can use whilst I'm not able to climb?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:02 am 

I have played with it once.
Yes it gets you pumped! And it it works your finger flexors as well as extensors (something you don't get with just squeezing a stress ball). If you can't climb (it's not nearly as exciting - doesn't even come close - I actually got bored with it quite quickly), but I would think it's very good excercise for the foreams.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:21 am 

I love my powerball! Got one for Christmas and have been addicted to it ever since.

Does it help improve your climbing? YES!!!

After not climbing for well over a year and a half, and very slowly getting back into it, I played with my powerball for a week and proceeded to send my two hardest boulder problems to date!!

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:28 am 

Powerball does work quite well. It definitely does give you the \"pumped\" feeling, but once the novelty has worn off a workout can get a little boring.
As far as I'm aware, it can be used to rehabilitate elbows and shoulders...this has something to do with the fact that you're not lifting or pulling a static load. More commonly, we use the ball to warm down after a long days climbing.
If you want to find out more log onto www.powerball.co.za. They stock Power Toys and will be able to give you the info you're looking for. Also, they now stock a metal ball. It's heavier and gives you that pump much faster. Definitely worth checking out.