Mount Everest Harrismith - New bolted route info?

New Areas. New routes. Retrobolting. Add-ons. Re-grading. etc.
JanoSA

Mount Everest Harrismith - New bolted route info?

Post by JanoSA » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:59 pm

Hi all

A few months ago I spotted the following image in the gallery which inspired a trip to Mount Everest in Harrismith over December which turned out top be absolutely awesome.

While we were there we noticed there were a fair amount of bolted routes that were not on the route guide. Most of them were newly bolted just like the "For Your Eyes Only" route. Notably on the "Red Wall" to he left of For Your Eyes Only which seems to coincide or run parallel to "A Steyn-Less Route" which according to the route guide is Trad only, and going up the honeycomb overhang section to the right of For Your Eyes Only which is not mentioned in the guide at all.

The Description in the gallery for the above image notes the following: "Also 5 new shorter routes right of FYEO. Soon to be updated on the Wiki." Had a look and sadly the Wiki has not been updated in the 6 months since the image was first spotted.

Finally on to my question:

Does anybody know anything about these new routes or any other routes that might not appear in the current guidebook? Is there a new updated guidebook somewhere that I might beg/steal/buy? We are planning a return trip in April and would like to do as many of the new routes as possible. I would be most grateful for any assistance that might be offered.

I did Google the crap out of the FA guys name to see if I could track him down, but no luck. The owners mentioned in passing a group of French climbers had returned a few years in a row to bolt new projects. So I assume there are a fair few more hiding across the mountain.

Lastly, if the individuals that bolted these routes happened to see this, I am incredibly grateful for your time, effort and money spent on this project. We enjoyed For Your Eyes Only tremendously! You did an awesome job bolting it and the photo route guide was supremely helpful! I hope similar photos surface soon :-)

JanoSA

Re: Mount Everest Harrismith - New bolted route info?

Post by JanoSA » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:24 pm

Hoping I might get a little feedback before April. Otherwise well just have to go in blind on the routes we can find and hope for the best

oubaas

Post by oubaas » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:50 pm

I think it's in pretty bad taste to open a route or even a few routes and not to bother posting the info or updating on wiki. I too have wanted to climb the route in question and was totally perplexed as to where it actually started. Perhaps the route opener can enlighten us to the where it actually starts and perhaps even impart with some information regarding pitches and any info which might be of importance.

TeeMee

Post by TeeMee » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:16 pm

I'm sorry I can't offer anything more helpful - but I heard there were a bunch of euro's who bolted quite a bit of new stuff about a year or two ago at Harrismith.. sadly don't know anything more than that. Perhaps the info is at the front office :mrgreen: ?

dirktalma

Post by dirktalma » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:09 am

Same thing here. Also noted the new climbs.
We climbed For Your Eyes Only this weekend and agree it's a great climb with pitches varying in style. Especially the top pitch is great.

I have an idea that Gustav (from Roc n Rope in Boven) was involved with the bolting. Maybe as him.

JanoSA

Post by JanoSA » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:40 pm

Teemee, sadly the folks at the front desk could not help. We checked there first.

Thank Dirktalma, I'll try and track Gustav down.

RyanKarate

Post by RyanKarate » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:19 pm

Pls keep us in the loop if things turn positive. Thank you

Marshall1

Post by Marshall1 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:39 pm

Gavin Peckham wrote the last guide maybe he has info gavin.peckham@gmail.com

JanoSA

Post by JanoSA » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:52 pm

Thanks gents.

Will definitely update if I get more info. I have sent Gustav a PM and will email Gavin ASAP.

Gustav

Post by Gustav » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:39 am

I think it's in pretty bad taste to open a route or even a few routes and not to bother posting the info or updating on wiki. I too have wanted to climb the route in question and was totally perplexed as to where it actually started. Perhaps the route opener can enlighten us to the where it actually starts and perhaps even impart with some information regarding pitches and any info which might be of importance.
Is this your way of saying thanks for the efforts? :wink:

The Frenchies (Gabo and crew from Reunion) came and conquered down there in the not so flat Vrystaat. I have not done the route, I have not been back to the crag since. Apparently it is stellar!

If you want it, you will find it.
Gustav
Roc 'n Rope Adventures
Waterval Boven
013 257 0363
climb @t rocrope dot com

Gustav

Post by Gustav » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:27 am

The yellow wall topo.jpg
New routes @ Harrismith
The yellow wall topo.jpg (198.94 KiB) Viewed 686 times
This was sent to me. Enjoy. So much rock, so few developers...

PS Wear a helmet at these crags, it is soft sandstone after all (wear a helmet whenever you climb, duh?) :afro:
Gustav
Roc 'n Rope Adventures
Waterval Boven
013 257 0363
climb @t rocrope dot com

JanoSA

Post by JanoSA » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:16 am

Most kind! Thanks Gustav!!!

Always pick the helmet for outside :wink:

That solves the mystery of the right hand routes, will just have to wing it on the new route on the red wall ;-).

Can't wait to get back there again. Will hopefully be able to add to new route development this year as well.