It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:35 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: bouldering in Swaziland
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:20 pm 

Hey peeps,
My friend Kim has put together a little topo about some new bouldering in Swaziland. Looks like there's lots of unexplored potential for granite bouldering... If you want the full PDF of the topo (just 5 pages), then email Kim:
kim (at) alloutafrica (dot) com

Attachments:
Lidwala 1.jpg
Lidwala 1.jpg [ 129.54 KiB | Viewed 1539 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:44 pm 

The guide is also now available for download (PDF) form the Climb Swaziland blog!

http://climbswaziland.wordpress.com/

We are keen for more exploration of this area, Plus the surrounding hills! (lots of potential)

Feel free to get in touch if you would like to add to the guide or for more info!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:06 am 

Can anyone tell me where this bolted route is in Mbabane??? Which international school?

Thanks guys,

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:45 pm 

hi... id love to come have a look at the potential...

will we be able to meet up with someone to show us around if we do come over a weekend?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:29 pm 

Tintin.

Me and friend will be here - GPS 31° 06′ 01.1″E, 26° 27′ 17.4″S in Swaziland top roping on Saturday. We too are looking at the potential for bolted routes.

Should be damn hot too - 38 forecast.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:13 pm 

I hear Swaziland also has some great day hiking, big pools, beautiful overnight outdoor spots. I'm keen to check it out some time...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:33 pm 

Click here to see Swaziland Climbing Photos.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:39 pm 

Quote:
Attachment:
Swaz.jpg
Swaz.jpg [ 166.83 KiB | Viewed 534 times ]

Anyone know what that is called/where exactly it is? Looks like something I could really have fun on :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:44 pm 

Ok - a quick google search answered my question for me. Its Sibebe Rock, apparently the 2nd largest granite dome on earth.

http://www.thekingdomofswaziland.com/pa ... tionsID=15

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:00 pm 

Yebo! Sure is Sibebe, unfortunately very, very smooth, scoped it out a few weekends ago. There are other potential spots all around that area though, in the Pine Valley.

Ngwempisi Gorge is another spot you should check out. Awesome cave like house complete with outdoor showers & toilets. Sleeps 20 with bunks, all open space. The lodge is called Khompo I think. Anyway it s great place to go and camp.

Good blog post on it here http://bethanyleechpc.blogspot.com/2013 ... gorge.html

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:08 pm 

Thanks for sharing - looks like a great spot!

One of my goals is to do all the highest points in the nearby countries - to date I have only done SA and Lesotho, but Swaziland is next on my list. I must make a proper trip out of it and check these cool places. Any other cool stuff that's worth exploring? I am more of a hiker than a climber - so doesn't have to be technical, good views are always worthwhile. Waterfalls are always a hit :thumleft:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:12 pm 

Mahamba gorge is another good spot, just near the border on the Swazi side if coming from Piet Retief. There's a waterfall in there and river you have to cross to get there. Lot's of loose rocks everywhere you step, so be sure to have good ankle support.

There's also potential for climbing further into the gorge, I believe its been trad climbed in the past (like in the 70's). I hope to explore it for some top roping in the near future, I've only hiked there so far.

All around Hlatikhulu there's an abundance of good hiking, but I don't have any definite routes to share. Most of the time I just ask the locals where I can and cannot go and they point me in the right direction. :thumleft:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:05 am 

There's loads of amazing hikes in Swaziland.
Some of the best hiking in Swaziland is in Malolotja Nature Reserve. There are chalets you can stay in, but the best plan is to do a multi day hike and camp. It's state owned and there's not much in the way of infrastructure, but the scenery is beautiful and you're unlikely to come across anyone else. The pot-holes are incredible, you can sleep at a camp spot at the lower pothole.
Other day hikes are in Mlilwane nature reserve, up Execution rock. Also up Sheba's breast peak. For waterfalls there's the Mantenga falls, very accessible. There's also Malkerns waterfall in the forest. There's an amazing waterfall spot called The Gap by locals, you'll have to find someone to take you there.
You can hike up Sibebe, and go beyond the top of the rock for miles and miles - some nice bouldering potential up there. Also some nice boulders up towards Sheba's breast if you walk up from Ezulwini valley.
Basically there are loads of hiking opportunities in Swaziland.... enjoy!