Quantcast
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:45 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Boven Roc Rally
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:16 am 

Wow! its amazing how well organised the Montagu rock rally seems to be. How is it possible that it only costs approx R80 per team as opposed to the R380 per team for the Boven event, and how do the organizing committee at the Montagu event find such fantastic sponsors? Transport to the crags and even tv coverage. Excellent!! Wonder how much the Boven rally will cost this year??? Lets see some good sponsors come on board and value for our money at the Boven event this year please....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:27 am 

Oubass – over the years I have participated in many climbing/ bouldering events held in SA. In 2006, in particular, I attended all the SA events baring 1 organised, I think, by the RAM crew in the Cape. Generally I found that all organisers put a lot of effort into their events, and each has it’s own unique appeal. However, if I had to choose one event to attend it would be, without a doubt, the Boven Rock Rally. For whatever reason (maybe simply the fact that it is the only event where competition is held over 2 days in perfect weather) the atmosphere at Boven is unmatched by any other climbing rally. Of course, this is only my opinion but I do belive that your \"greener grass elsewehre syndrom\" is unjustified.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 4:35 pm 

Have't attended any other festivals so don't know whether the grass is greener on the other side. All im asking is why R80 as opposed to R400 per team. How are the Cape organizers able to charge so little?Perhaps you've answered my question. R200 per day....suppose seems fair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:12 pm 

It depends on whether the organiser wants a FAT paycheck for the event or not...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:38 am 

If you are really concerned regarding the cost of the Boven Roc Rally, I would recommend getting hold of Gustav directly. I believe his e-mail address is on the Roc 'n Rope website. I'm sure he would be better able to answer your question.
Both Gustav and Alex are committed to climbing in this country and put a lot of effort into making it work, just like all comp organisers across the country! The number of climbing events, rock rallies and competitions has increased significantly in the last few years and its often through the effort of a few committed people. I really don't believe that any of the organisers, Roc and rope included are out to cash in on the comp.
As always though, thats just my two cents worth...