It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:25 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:35 am 

Hi Guys and Girls

As you may be aware, someone has removed most of the hangers at Higgovale Quarry. Accordingly, ARF will be rebolting the classic routes this Saturday 15 November. For now we have enough volunteers, but as always many hands make light work so feel free to join us at 08h00 at the Quarry.

I just got word that the guys from the online gourmet shop www.diletto.co.za will be there to give the first 10 volunteers to pitch up a hefty slab of "Panforte" - serious mountaineering food! I also hear that there may be some of their biscotti to taste for the other helpers - so thanks to the diletto crew for the support.

Sean Kets is arranging Hot Dogs and things - so let me (or Sean) know if you can contribute in this department. Alcohol will only be frowned upon if you are under 18 and pretending to crank the life out of a bolt with a wrench...

Hope to see most of you there!! Tools, chemicals, bolts etc supplied by ARF, supported by ARF sponsors.

Best Regards
Martin Lompa
For ANCHOR REPLACEMENT FUND (MCSA)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:39 pm 

Hi Martin

Thats great news. I live 2 km's away so would like to ask a few questions please
1) I know zip about bolting so forgive me. Would these new bolts now be ''glue ins'' i.e. would it be impossible for the arsehole/s who stole the last bolts to do the same again ?
2) Are there any RD's with grades etc available for the routes ?
3) I'd heard the place has had problems with bergie shite all over the place, and safety issues ? Is that still the case ?

I would love to learn how to bolt or help out this coming Saturday but I have a 3 year old daughters school concert to attend.
thanks pal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:25 pm 

Hi Paul

1) Yes, they are glue-ins and will require about 8 tons of horizontal force to remove on a good day. No prize for getting this right!

2) There are some faded sketches from 1994 on paper, yes. We are planning on taking some nice photos and making new topos and RD's with grades and all - then we plan on publishing it somehow and by making it freely available, probably also on the climb.co.za wiki.

3) I have just been there and there is no sign of any problem. I have been playing/climbing at the quarry for well over 20 years and have never had any issues except for the odd teenager crowd making the odd illegal campfire. Bergies and squatters are driven out very speedily by the locals who walk their dogs there daily and the CCID and the security guards in the area, etc.

Fact remains it is frequented more by climbers than by any other users and especially "learner" climbers. It is for this reason that we are wanting to make the good ol quarry safe again.

Feel free to pop in before or after the concert, chances are we will still be there - you can always give me a call if necessary.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:01 am 

Great stuff Martin ! Thank you. I will come and say hi on Saturday.
See you then

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:54 pm 

RATS! Got the day wrong and went there yesterday. Dof. Still, had an excellent day there. Thanks for the hard work. Is the bolting finished? The route to the right of the "14" looks like it still needs anchors? Willing to help if still needed.
Also, the 4-odd routes to the right of the "main wall" are not in my route book(which is a bit old) could some kind person let me have the names and grades please.
Thanks, Roy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:16 pm 

Thanks to Martin and Andy for organising and doing the hard work at this popular training venue.
And to everyone else who was there!
&
Thanks to Mike Scott for sending in the photos

Attachments:
Higgo Vale Quarry ARF 005.jpg
Higgo Vale Quarry ARF 005.jpg [ 23.96 KiB | Viewed 548 times ]
Higgo Vale Quarry ARF 004.jpg
Higgo Vale Quarry ARF 004.jpg [ 26.03 KiB | Viewed 547 times ]
Higgo Vale Quarry ARF 003.jpg
Higgo Vale Quarry ARF 003.jpg [ 19.31 KiB | Viewed 548 times ]
Higgo Vale Quarry ARF 002.jpg
Higgo Vale Quarry ARF 002.jpg [ 21.98 KiB | Viewed 547 times ]