Quantcast
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:23 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Higgovale Quarry
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:21 pm 

Hi Guys -

Anybody know whats going on at the Higgovale Quarry? I was there yesterday and the police showed up and asked us to leave. Apparently the area is now off limits as it forms part of table mountain????

Anyway. Try to give a good show for the police. Their look of awe at another human being doing some exercise was just too much!!!

:lol:

Post subject: Re: Higgovale Quarry
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:16 pm 

Wow Pea1nut... :o

Don't sugar coat it... How do you really feel?

:D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:22 pm 

No i'm joking hey. Sure the crag is close to town etc., but it really is just another mediocre crag with hideous lines. But some people enjoy, so whatever :) :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:55 am 

Mannn,

I'm just laughing because it reminds me of when I was like 12 and used to skateboard. The PIGZ always come around and bother all the wrong people. It's ridiculous...

I had to ask them if they exercised and they just stared at me!!! Like, GYM? WHATS THAT? They couldn't believe we do this for recreation!!!! :lol:

Quarry does suck a bit but that damn Nefarious Crack. I wont rest until I have done it on lead!!! Might have to do some night climbing tho by the looks of it!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:34 am 

seriously guys: can the SAPS actually stop us from climbing at the quarry? this is Table Mountain National Park land. it's like kicking us out off Table Mountain itself. under what legal pretense are they actually doing so? complaints from the neighbours? we have to call them on this B.S.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:43 am 

yeah, its suspect man..... they cannot chase you of TMNP; only if it is private property. do these guys even know what they are doing??? agree with rob - throw the book at them :pig:s

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:26 am 

Hi Gents

David, did you ask the cops why you were not allowed inside the quarry or why you were not allowed to climb? Had someone just been mugged, dealing drugs etc.
Or did you ask them, but they just would not tell you ? Probably a good idea to find out why it's off limits.
My mates and i had a situation at the quarry on a Saturday morning in March this year when one of the SANPARKS ranger's tried to tell us that we needed a permit to climb in the quarry. He was pretty aggressive. He then gave us the tel number of Cape Permits to call next time we wanted to climb there.

On the Monday at work i called the cape permits office and they said we did not need a permit to climb in the quarry. Their answer was ''You only need a permit if you are going to be using the quarry for commercial purposes eg movie shoot or film shoot etc''. I got them to send it to me in writing and now i take that email to the quarry with me just in case i am stopped by any other SANPARKS rangers.
Anyone surprised by the one not knowing what the other is up to ? I'm not.

If anyone is blocked by the police next time please find out why so you can take it further with the SAPS leader (captain) of that sector which will be TBK/Higgovale.
thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:37 am 

Those little oinkers are looking for a bribe... probably Joburg cops on holiday and out of money. Don't give 'em a cent.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:20 am 

Hey man,

The police said due to a recent spate of drug activity in the quarry it was now private property and they were just doing their job. Moments before the police did arrive a park ranger showed up and told us the same thing and eventually left telling us that we could be arrested for being there???

Finally after the police arrived and a small spat they did not seem to really have any point at all by bothering us. They obviously don't know we use the quarry that frequently considering how the idiot remarked how absolutely unsafe it is we use such puny bolts for protection?? He kept referring to the recent death of a climber on India Venster like I was next...

I personally think this is harassment. If he caught me there again he could very well take me to the sation and have me wait a day or 2 before anywoen even heard my case... These days they seem to do what they want. I think we should get his details and call the relavent station. Is there any possibility I could get a copy of that email just in case he bothers us again?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:15 pm 

maybe people, who live close to Higgovale Quarry, call police. They think that the people (climbers) enjoy drug there.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:36 pm 

Hi Paul, could you scan in your letter & post it on this site. Then all who plan to go to Higgovale can print it off & make copies for any whoppers who pitch.

I bet Higgo is a chill spot for police who are suposed to be protroling.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:42 pm 

The quarry has been the site of some nefarious activities, but rock climbing isnt one of them. My bet is its the ranger that called the cops. Paul what was the rangers name? He's obviously causing kak and needs to account for it. If he has a thing against climbers then he's picked the wrong crowd to mess with as many of us are friends with the big boss at TMNP.

I reckon we should just carry on climbing there, if anyone moans take their names and found out why they object. Then show them a copy of Pauls e-mail. Simple! I suppose you cant really disobey a police officer but surely they can see reason. If not, find out who they are, then go over their heads to their section leader and lay a complaint.

Its crap that they are doing this, completely unnecessary. They might as well be chasing away tourists from the cable car just because there have been muggings on the mountain!
Paul please post that e-mail.
If there is any further kak we will just go straight to TMNP management.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:58 pm 

Howdy greg et al

I will dig the email out of my sport bag this evening, get it scanned and have it posted on this site.

If only SAPS would realise that by having more climbers in the quarry more often this would obviously keep unwanted elements away i.e drug dealer's.
By chasing climber's away surely they are providing a more suitable environment for dodgy elements to hang out there ? One does not need to be Columbo (remember him Greg) to figure that out.

I will also call CPT Jansen and CPT Neppal at Caledon square(in charge of the TBK/Higgovale sectors) and explain to them that us climbers will in fact keep an eye out for any dodgy people/dealings and explain that we are in fact on their side and will help to keep the quarry ''clean''. This is the best policy to follow when dealing with SAPS rather than the aggro approach.

hang 5, I'll feedback soon.
cheers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:40 pm 

Just be careful when handling angry pork products. a wonderful charge is "riotous behavior", with which they can (and will) hold you for a night, and then charge you R50. They can do this for anything, or absolutely nothing. This happened to me, when asking one for his name and id number. my friend got arrested for asking what the charges were against our third friend (we still dont know why they actually arrested him). This is just one eg... im sure everyone has plenty. and it seems to be supremely hard to get any disciplinary action against offending pigs. Beware of insp. Gunn (no jokes)... he is short, angry man :)

taking the letter, and getting it stamped and certified at a police station would legally obligate the pig to leave you alone...
just a thought

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:48 am 

Many thanks to Paul Goddard for the below email / document.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:11 pm 

Thanks Paul!
If anyone has any further trouble post it up in this thread. Its absolute nonsense that we should have our access threatened by the wrong doings of few criminals or the paranoia of the police and parks officials!

You gotta fight for your right to party!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:30 pm 

Quote:
You gotta fight for your right to party!

Just me and my horsy and a quart of beer
Riding across the land, kicking up sand
Sheriff's posse on my tail cause I'm in demand

(Beastie Boys)

I feel old all of a sudden. Wonder if there's any truth to that saying "You're as old as the person your feeling" 8) :alien: :pirat:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:52 am 

Umm...Justin the news article re this has not been setup right.