Bolt issue at the Hole* update

Let everyone know about any suspect/dodgy/misplaced bolts to be renewed or avoided.
Q20

Bolt issue at the Hole* update

Post by Q20 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:08 pm

Posting this on behalf of Illona Pelser:

"Just to let everyone know, there is no 3rd bolt on Megalodon (a 26 at the Hole just right of Fleur de Mer). I was climbing up and a foot grip broke off. The bolt blew and I was caught by an alert belayer and thankfully the second bolt held (although it looked just as dodgy). Fortunately the fall was benign and I am unscathed but I think this is yet another reason to always wear a helmet when climbing.
I put a little X on the rock below the route so that people will look up and see that there is a bolt missing but they might just think I was marking that specific piece of rock. What is the procedure here to warn people off of a route until the hangers have been replaced?"

UPDATE: it seems that it was the nut and hanger that came off and not the bolt itself that pulled out. However, other hangers on the route that were moving/swiveling had nuts that would not respond to hand tightening. The condition of the thread of this 3rd bolt needs to be checked. For now, just do not climb the route.

IMG_9824 (Medium).jpg
IMG_9824 (Medium).jpg (121.69 KiB) Viewed 967 times
Last edited by Q20 on Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
One life, one body. Use them well.

mokganjetsi

Re: Bolt failure at the Hole

Post by mokganjetsi » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:47 pm

take the hanger off the first bolt?
and yikes!!

tygereye

Re: Bolt failure at the Hole

Post by tygereye » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:17 am

Glad you came off unscathed, Illona!
Shew!