Bolt failure at The Mine

Let everyone know about any suspect/dodgy/misplaced bolts to be renewed or avoided.
Justin

Re: Bolt failure at The Mine

Post by Justin » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:18 am

Gustav wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:28 pm
The Anchor Corrosion project is part of the UIAA’s commitment to continually researching and innovating in order to further develop its international standards for climbing equipment.
The Pink Harmonica bolt that failed (from this thread) was sent to a lab in Prague for analysis - I'll put the results up a bit later.
If anyone breaks a bolt I can pass on postage details, alternatively if you get the failed pieces to us, we will courier the metal to them.
Old Smelly wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:28 am

Apart from the bit where the bolt fails and you fall... then as I said the stats don't help you squat! :jocolor:

...particularly if they are looking into top anchors (as you will recall I believe load sharing Top Anchors are better than loading a single anchor and having a back up bolt)
They need these stats to find out what doesn't work (be it perhaps at you detriment :pirat: !

Top anchors are often more prone to corrosion (than single bolts) as there is usually different metals combined.
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za