It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:48 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Rocklands Permits
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:50 am 

I saw that they built what looks like a new office on the top of Pakhuys Pass where you park to go into Rocklands. I'm guesing that it will be used to control access and permits. Anyone know more about this? Like when it'll come into operation, estimated permit fees, etc?

My worry is that they tried this a few years ago as well, where you had to buy your permits down at the old Kliphuis campsite. The permit prices changed about every 2 weeks though and I remember speaking to a few of the overseas climbers in the camp who were complaining that the whole thing was getting silly and very expensive, even for them, as they easily spend a month or two there.

I am not against paying for permits etc. i just hope it's managed better this time round ( if this is what that little office is going to be used for). It'll be a friggin shame to be putting off all these overseas climbers, not to mention us locals as well, from visiting Rocklands over something like this.

Anyway, happy climbing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:58 pm 

Day permits are no longer avaliable at Kliphuis Campground and I'm sure the hut at the top of Pakhuis Pass will be for checking and issueing... time will tell whether it will be a regular thing, somehow I doubt it?!
If you're a regular visitor or staying there for an extended period, it's probably best to get a Wildcard. For the Cape Cluster it's about R170 but for internationals it's about 5x more which is crazy in my opinion?!
Bottom line is that the Northern Cedarberg is not a priority for CNC as the potenial revenue is minimal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:39 pm 

so let me get this straight... if I have a Wildcard I do NOT need any other kind of permit to be able to climb in Rocklands? the Wildcard is all I need?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:56 pm 

Ja, all you need is wildcard for day visits. I am going up there for 4 days early next month but not sure where you get permits with Wildcard, i.e. you still need permit but if you have Wildcard, they are free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:55 pm 

The Wildcard gets you into all the CNC wilderness areas (Roadside, Campground, Riverside etc) but not the areas on the otherside of the pass like De Pakhuys which is R20 pppd or free if you camp there.
I got my Wildcard near the clock tower at the Waterfront.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:49 am 

Marianna at Algeria currently issues permits for Rocklands.
If you have a wildcard, email her your details including your permit dates and wildcard number. (algeria at xsinet.co.za)
As soon as she has checked the validity of your wildcard, she emails you your permit.
Simple

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:13 am 

Thanks Iain, tried emailing Marianne at Algeria as suggested and got no response so I thought I would phone to follow up on email but could find no contact no on Cape Nature's website. However phoned their central booking no on site 021-6593500 and got super service. Gave wildcard no and area and dates permit required for and it was faxed through to me within 5 minutes, followed up as well by another emailed permit. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:57 am 

My take on the hut was that it was a facility aimed at the donkey rides. Just a guess though.

Post subject: Re: Rocklands Permits
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:58 pm 

Hey guys,

I tried looing around regarding permits for Rocklands and there is a lot of information, but it is a little confusing.
I'm heading through there for 2 weeks in April and want to know where I get the permit from (and whether it is even necessary)...?
I'm going to get a Wild Card because that just helps in general I guess.

Do you guys go get permits when you head to Rocklnds?
Gonna stay at de Pakhuis, so I'm sorted for Plateua and those areas I guess.

Also...anyone know of or want to house sit in close to Tyger Valley shopping centre from say 2 till 12/13 April (will pay of course). :)

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:49 pm 

SAMountain reports that the fee structure for Rocklands has changed.

If you stay (chalet or camping) in CapeNature’s Kliphuis Campground (the old original campsite) then all access to Rocklands is at no charge. No access fee and no activity fee. No Wild Card necessary.

If you stay elsewhere and you want to climb on CapeNature’s land, then there are a few options.
1. With a valid Wild Card there will be a daily fee of R40, a weekly permt for R160, or a monthly permit for R540.
2. Without a Wild Card there will be a daily fee of R80, a weekly permit for R320, or a monthly permit for R980.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:12 pm 

So basically CNC was late on catching the Rocklands boat so they are desperately trying to draw people away from the locals providing accommodation who put time and money into development of the area... Nice one CNC all about the money as per usual

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:48 pm 

I'm not quite sure why /what happened with the campsite!

The way I remember it... for years it was operational, then it was unmanned (and maintained by Fred Nicole and crew around 2005), then a private manager living in one of the houses, then closed with a sign on the gate (for a couple of years) and now open again!
One thing is for sure it is a stunning campsite.