ARF at Kleinmond

Let everyone know about any suspect/dodgy/misplaced bolts to be renewed or avoided.
Andy Davies

ARF at Kleinmond

Post by Andy Davies » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:09 am

This is just a note to let everyone know that ARF has been working away (quietly) at Kleinmond and 16 routes have been rebolted. Many thanks to Russel & Rina Warren, Niel Barnard and co for dragging the gear up that pig hill and doing such great work.
AndyDavies

Daydreams

Re: ARF at Kleinmond

Post by Daydreams » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:41 am

Hey guys, thanks for the great work that ARF has done. Which routes have been done lately?

mullet

Post by mullet » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:15 pm

I spotted the ARF guys and ladies up there on Tuesday while introducing some friends to climbing. They were slogging away, drilling and grinding. My friends were amazed at the fact that here were some people, making use of their own valuable time (on a public holiday too), to provide such an awesome service to the climbing community. Thanks to all involved with the ARF, your hard work really is appreciated.
...Chalk is cheap...

Russell Warren

Post by Russell Warren » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:53 pm

Stanley

Andy and Co re-bolted the Zucchini wall a year or two ago. Andy also rebolted Klubvoet Kitty and The Vanishing (I will remove the anchors on this one when I come and bolt "unless first a scream") on the Runaway wall. The other routes that have been rebolted by Rina, Niel and I are Spits or Swallows and Fifth Element at the arete area and all the remaining routes on the Runaway wall excluding "unless first a scream", but including "Now you see me, now you don't". As Andy said it is 16 routes in total at Kleinmond that have been rebolted.

Russell Warren

Daydreams

Post by Daydreams » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:59 pm

Thanks Russell.

If you ever need help in slogging gear, I will be willing to help. Thanks again to all those that are involved.

Russell Warren

Post by Russell Warren » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:04 pm

I will take you up on the offer next time thanks. Having rebolted about 19 or 20 routes now I have come to the conclusion that a team of 4 people and 3 ropes is the best. The most I have had has been 3 (normally just Rina and I), but it is not ideal. You need a 1 x belayer, 1 x driller and hole cleaner, 1 x gluer and a bolt chopper. The reason you only need one belayer is that the people doing the work only need to be belayed up the route and from there they use a self locking belay device. If you are available to help on our next trip you can make number 4 if you like.

Andrew76

Post by Andrew76 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:39 pm

Hi Russel
I wouldnt be offended as you probably want to be with people you know,but i would be keen to help.
Im pretty handy and would like to have a go.
Andrew

emile

Post by emile » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:38 pm

mullet wrote:I spotted the ARF guys and ladies up there on Tuesday while introducing some friends to climbing. They were slogging away, drilling and grinding. My friends were amazed at the fact that here were some people, making use of their own valuable time (on a public holiday too), to provide such an awesome service to the climbing community. Thanks to all involved with the ARF, your hard work really is appreciated.
Respect. Having bolted my first couple of routes recently I can vouch for the effort involved. It never ceases to amaze me how some people just give of themselves for the good of the community, Thanks from me in advance for one day when I go climb one of those routes. :thumleft:

Russell Warren

Post by Russell Warren » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:24 pm

Hi Andrew

Thanks for the offer, but Rina and I have relocated to Durban. I have only climbed at two crags here so far, but some of the routes could do with some work here, but I want to climb a bit first.