It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:39 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Loose Nuts, Paarl
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:15 pm 

On the weekend I climbed some routes at Paarl:
Little Dutch Boy
Sands of Time
Belly Button...

All the bolts, hangers and nuts are in good condition although some of the nuts are very loose. Some of them were nearly completely unscrewed to the point of falling off the bolts... but don't worry i tighted then again with my awsome crimp strength :lol:

Jokes aside, they need to be re-torqued. I would be happy to take on the job.... but I am not sure what to set the torque wrench to???

Has anyone considered using 'locktight' when attaching hangers???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:59 am 

Thanks for the tips, we are heading out as soon as the weather clears, I will do the Sands bolts if you are willing to do Little Dutch Boya nd Belly Button. There have also been some access issues lately concerning the shiny new bolts. if you would like a crappy job then maybe you could help out bu spray painting the bolts on Belly Button. We are in the process of doing all our routes (Stewart and Scott Noy). take along a cloth to protect the rock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:11 pm 

Ja Stu

Sure thing, i would be amped to help!!!
I want to get to Paarl some time this week-end... if its not raining.
I will give scott a call later in the week... Is he still in the landz?? if so let me know when you are gonna hit the rock.

14194686@sun.ac.za

Peace
Michael B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:02 am 
Will try head out on Saturday and Sunday, but its is raining on Friday. All depends on whether or not this runny nose gets worse. For those interested, some people (not climbers) have been complaining about some of the new bolts that have been placed and are shining when in the sun. The main problem is the bolts on the Parklife wall, we have plans to spray the bolts but if anyone climbs the routes, think about taking along a can of spray paint and colour the bolts. Access is not threatened yet as we were given some time to colour the bolts but it does need to be done. Just be careful with your can and take precautions to paint the bolts only and not the rock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:58 pm 
Ummm... a suggestion from an ignoramous: wouldn't it be easier/less messy/just as effective to take a big fat black koki pen up with you and just colour in the hangers? That should be enough to stop them reflecting, and black spots on granite would be all but invisible...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:59 pm 
Ummm... a suggestion from an ignoramous: wouldn't it be easier/less messy/just as effective to take a big fat black koki pen up with you and just colour in the hangers? That should be enough to stop them reflecting, and black spots on granite would be all but invisible...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:48 am 

Hi there,

I'm due to be taking a beginner up belly button on Saaturday pm. I'll take my spanner along.

Regards
Iain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:12 am 
Whatever method you feel is best to colour the bolts, use it. As long as the rock is not affected. Remember when re-tightening the bolts, don't over-tighten them. have fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:36 pm 
don't torque, use a nylock nut, applying minimal pressure

Post subject: paarl
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:25 pm 
don't torque just kiss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:55 pm 
hi
what size spanner do you use?