2ND Hand Gear Ethics

Post here for all your gear questions, rants and raves. Ask about gear before you buy it and find out what others are using. NOTE: this forum is NOT for gear sales.

McJagger

2ND Hand Gear Ethics

Post by McJagger » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:00 am

I have noticed a few people selling "rarely used" but old gear and asking almost new prices. And there is nothing wrong with that at face value but i have an issue with the selling of soft gear like ropes, slings, harnesses and the dog bones of the QD's. Most manufactures recommend retirement after 10 years even if the item was never used. Therefore making the gear worthless should people be allowed to sell these items to unknowing people or is it ignorance on both sides? Our lives literally hang from these threads. Do People need to be informed or am I being paranoid?

PeterHS

Re: 2ND Hand Gear Ethics

Post by PeterHS » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:47 am

Thanks for the post. I often buy used gear, more usually hard gear and gear from people I know or know of, but it's a valid and useful question. I await the responses with interest. Peter

Gustav

Re: 2ND Hand Gear Ethics

Post by Gustav » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:58 pm

There was a [Petzl] harness a couple of weeks ago that I remember stocking in the shop in the mid nineties. A quick search showed that they stopped manufacturing them circa 2001. That would be 15 years, going on 16?

Irresponsible seller, irresponsible buyer?

I use an old harness to walk my dog in town, cut off all the leg & gear loops. Woof-woof!
Gustav
Roc 'n Rope Adventures
Waterval Boven
013 257 0363
climb @t rocrope dot com