Washing down sleeping bag in washing machine? yes or NO!

Post here for all your gear questions, rants and raves. Ask about gear before you buy it and find out what others are using. NOTE: this forum is NOT for gear sales.

Boondock

Washing down sleeping bag in washing machine? yes or NO!

Post by Boondock » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:21 pm

Merry mountain people,

I want to wash my down sleeping bag (First Ascent Ice Breaker), but I am a bit lazy to wash it by hand, and sending it in to FA to get washed is expensive. I am considering washing it in a washing machine with Nikwax down wash. I just wanted to know, has anyone done this before?

I know they say you should not do this... but for down jackets it's the same and I've washed my jacket before in a washing machine - no problem. It came out super clean, good as new. And in the tumbledryer with some tennis balls it was suuuuper puffy again.

So, my thinking it that it's maybe over-conservative for bags as well. But if someone has done this and it was definitely a bad idea, please let me know.
Berge! Skoonheid sonder Perke!

Brussel

Re: Washing down sleeping bag in washing machine? yes or NO!

Post by Brussel » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:27 pm

I did my Ice breaker a few months back using nikwax down wash and did it on a delicate cycle, no issues at all. Front loaders are not as rough as a top loader so check what you have. As It dried I loosened up the lumps of down by hand and it was as good as new

PeterHS

Post by PeterHS » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:36 pm

I haven't - yet - but I always use a silk or cotton liner. They are easy to wash and keep clean without the nausea of washing a sleeping bag. They don't of course keep the outsides clean but I don't have too much difficulty with that. Good luck! Ciao. Peter

Brussel

Post by Brussel » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:26 pm

I agree with Peter, I also use a liner: a nice cotton one for winter and a this pertex one for summer. But after 18 years I still figured it was time for a wash :lol:

PeterHS

Post by PeterHS » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:38 pm

I wish (Jason?) there was a 'Like' button here ....... P

Nic Le Maitre

Post by Nic Le Maitre » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:46 pm

First Ascent send all their stuff to a dry cleaner in Muizenberg. There was a thread about it a while ago.

I've washed mine before. Getting the lumps out was a huge pain in the ass. I hear a tumble dryer and tennis balls might help.
Happy climbing
Nic

supersmeda

Post by supersmeda » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:02 pm

After speaking to a friend of mine who makes down sleeping bags and duvets of the highest quality I found out what they do to their down items.
They also wash it in a washing machine and either:
1. do the tennis ball thing or
2. leave it in the sun on a washing line to dry.

If you do it in a tumble drier, stop it every 30-40min and pull apart all the lumps. it is very laborious, but does get the job done quicker.

I prefer to leave it in the sun and just keep pulling all the lumps apart every now and again. It might take 2 days to dry in the sun. Thats why I wash my bag once a year, max twice..depending on where it's been:)