Rope for hiking

Post here for all your gear questions, rants and raves. Ask about gear before you buy it and find out what others are using. NOTE: this forum is NOT for gear sales.

PeterHS

Rope for hiking

Post by PeterHS » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:37 pm

Hi all. I'm looking to buy a rope for hiking, for use to top rope those who need that little extra confidence during the more exacting moments on B+ or C grade hikes. Most articles seem to recommend 30m in length. I have two considerations: type and thickness. Static or dynamic? The rope is not intended to be used for rock-climbing or with protection or to take a fall - so I wonder if dynamic rope is ok. Second, is 7mm ok for this purpose? I want something that is for occasional use and so not too heavy to carry. Thanks in advance for any advice.

mokganjetsi

Re: Rope for hiking

Post by mokganjetsi » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:00 am

since there will be no shock loading either dynamic or static should be fine (i would prefer dynamic should, by accident, the rope get shock loaded - consequences could be severe).
if the rope is properly rated 7mm should be fine (think twin ropes tend to be around 7,5mm - thinner needs a special belay device). note that the weight difference on a 30m section of rope should be minimal - for 7mm and 8mm around 300g?; i prefer the handling and safety of slightly thicker ropes.

GeorgeHorn

Post by GeorgeHorn » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:31 am

I may have an old but good condition climbing rope you are welcome to for a small exchange of cash. PM me if you are interested.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:43 am

Ahooi okes
Dynamic does not come in less than 10mm options in SA if you want per meter. But does go down to 7.5mm in the Mammut Twilight for a 50m lenght. Set sizes for dynamic: 50m, 60m, 70m, 80m.

And static ropes only go till about 9mm, below that is called cords and does not rate as strong as ropes. But they will be good enought for what you want to do.
But I will always advise on what I preceive is best practice: use dynamic, and if weight is an issue, consider the Twilight.
:thumleft:

Nic Le Maitre

Post by Nic Le Maitre » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:11 am

Static rope isn't really static at all. It still stretches up to 10% for 11mm, and more for thinner rope. Since you're going to be top roping people you really don't have to worry about the dreaded shock loading. Static rope is also typically more durable than dynamic. I have a 30m length of 8mm Roca cord that I use for a similar purpose
Happy climbing
Nic

mokganjetsi

Post by mokganjetsi » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:51 am

Practically, I would try to get a old but working condition 60m half-rope and cut it in half - should save you lots of $$$s

Guardian

Post by Guardian » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:47 pm

Happen to see this suitable rope on MMO earlier today.
There is nothing more beautiful than a well dressed alpine butterfly.

Ghaznavid

Post by Ghaznavid » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:39 am

I hike with 20m 7mm access chord, 2 slings, a locking biner and a belay device. Aside from hauling packs, I have used this for abseiling on Cathedral Peak (there are chains on the 2 biggest pitches, graded about C for each) - doubled without any major shocks, this should be more than strong enough. I last used it on Tseketseke Pass last year when a team of 7 had to get down a 4m crumbly waterfall (easy moves, but entirely loose rock and sand and with flowing water over it). I tied the end of the rope around a large block, tied the other end of the rope into a harness, and used the locker and belay device to belay people down off the boulder anchor via an overhand knot in which the locker was secured. No one fell, so the system was never tested - I expect they would have sung soprano for a few days afterwards if they did, but that beats broken bones. The last guy to come down free soloed with a spot from below.
"There is something fundamentally wrong in treating the Earth as if it were a business in liquidation." Herman E Daly

ant

Post by ant » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:21 pm

The standard recommendation for this use is a 30m, 8 - 9mm dynamic rope.

- Dynamic is a little better, and also handles / knots more nicely
- Mine is only 18m, and I've never found it too short. I use it recreationally, for guiding, and for 1-man rescue scenarios.
- The link above (Beal Rando) (Literally Beal 'Walker' in french) is a pre-packaged product for the purpose.
However many climbers will have an old piece of 8 - 10mm rope from a longer rope that has been cut. This is perfect for the purpose too. Either buy the Rando from MMO, or take George up on his offer.

Have fun,

Ant

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:00 pm

I carry 20m of 8mm accessory cord plus a couple of 'biners and slings hand have used it for hand-rails at exposed sections, toproping someone over tricky sections and helping to raise / lower packs and found it "long enough". However this assumes that someone is willing to scramble up/down solo and that there will in general not be any proper abseiling (which would require the addition of longer rope, harnesses, pro etc.)

PeterHS

Post by PeterHS » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:12 pm

Thanks all for your comments and advice. It seems the best length is 30m, not more and some use 20m. 8mm is preferred - thinner will hold but is not so easy to grip or hold if using a belay device. Though static will give some stretch (about 10%), most prefer to take a dynamic rope.

EEclimber

Post by EEclimber » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:26 am

in my experience if you use any rope under about 8 mm then it is very difficult to hold on to and your belay device doesn't get enough friction to do it's job properly, it will still work but expect rope burn. the best rope that i can think of is about 30 meters of 8 mm rope. i recommend a rope with a little bit of stretch in it in case you do take a fall. these ropes are not very easy to find but they do exist, they are in between static and dynamic which makes them very useful.