Black Diamond Sabretooth crampons issue.

Post here for all your gear questions, rants and raves. Ask about gear before you buy it and find out what others are using. NOTE: this forum is NOT for gear sales.

Luckystrike

Black Diamond Sabretooth crampons issue.

Post by Luckystrike » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:22 pm

The Sabertooths come with a safety strap that is connected to the rear adjustable clip and wraps around your ankle. When you put it on, it threads though a ring that is attached to a thin piece of metal that curls up and over the front of your boot.( see first picture)
The webbing strap is about 6 cm too short. Should I try to lenghten the strap with extra webbing or will the crampons be suficcient without the thin piece of metal and ring? ( see 2nd picture)
Sabretooth.png
Sabretooth.png (40.18 KiB) Viewed 975 times
400045_Sabretooth_ProF15_web.jpg
400045_Sabretooth_ProF15_web.jpg (82.95 KiB) Viewed 975 times
Any help would be appreciated.

SNORT

Re: Black Diamond Sabretooth crampons issue.

Post by SNORT » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:08 pm

You do not need to connect the strap to the front ring. There is really no way that the front ring can disengage if the back is clipped and hold on by the strap around your ankle.

Grivel as a comparable crampon that I use.

http://www.grivel.com/products/ice/crampons/31-skitour

SNORT

Post by SNORT » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:10 pm

Luckystrike

Post by Luckystrike » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:39 am

Thanks for the advice.
I also e-mailed Black diamond directly and they gave the same advice.

Nic Le Maitre

Post by Nic Le Maitre » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:49 am

Fully automatic crampons have this crappy habit of coming off at the wrong time, and so the strap is there to prevent them from falling down the glacier. If you can still do up the strap around your ankle that will be sufficient
Happy climbing
Nic

DeanVDM

Post by DeanVDM » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:44 pm

I have a very old version of the Sabre Tooth that has a very, very long strap that actually goes around the ankle once and then thought the toe bail ring a second time. In my opinion there is no reason why you cannot replace the strap with something that does the same – it does not need to be load bearing kinda strong. I do like the security of the strap as for me it keeps my gaiters tight and close to the boot with less chance of a front point going through your nice Gore-Tex gaiters.

Be careful about not using this to keep the toe bail in place as this is boot dependent (and over time you might change boots). Many of the dedicated boots have a very well defined groove and profile that keeps this in place but this is not always the case esp when you start twisting the boot, when the bail gets into contact with ice / rock or when the shank of the boot is not 100% rigid. If the bail pops (and I have seen it happen more than once) consider it the same as loosing a tool – you cannot move at all and you can only go down on steep terrain when there is a rope above you (but even then it is not elegantly as you cannot push yourself away from the ice).