Crash Pad Comparison

Post here for all your gear questions, rants and raves. Ask about gear before you buy it and find out what others are using. NOTE: this forum is NOT for gear sales.

Liffey

Crash Pad Comparison

Post by Liffey » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:55 pm

Hi!

So I'm looking at buying my boyfriend a crash pad for his 30th birthday so we can do a Rocklands trip but really only know about sport climbing gear and don't want to end up going with the wrong option as it's a lot of money to spend!

Am trying to decide between the Oćun Sundance Boulder Pad and the Metolius Session Boulder Pad.

He's doing intermediate routes at the moment but is really good and improving really quickly so I want to choose one that will grow with him as his skill progresses.

Is one of those a better option?

Thanks so much!

JanoSA

Re: Crash Pad Comparison

Post by JanoSA » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:03 pm

I don't currently own a pad, but have been reading this to help me choose before buying. Might help:

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/c ... -crash-pad

Liffey

Post by Liffey » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:02 pm

Thank you! :)

Logic

Post by Logic » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:02 pm

I apply a simple rule when it comes to crash-pads, the bigger (surface area and/or thickness ie volume) the better.

Thus, my opinion would be pick the Session over Sundance.

However , both are still on the smaller end of the pad spectrum and can easily be “outgrown”. I would rather dish-out a little extra and buy a bigger midsize pad, Ocun Dominator or Mad Rock Duo, these will not only last longer but be of far greater utility.

robertbreyer

Post by robertbreyer » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:43 pm

So many pads, so little time....
We have about 20 different pads in stock, from tiny to XXL.
Best you come by a CityROCK shop and do some falling on them. Or shop online -
http://www.mountainmailorder.co.za/clim ... rash-pads/
The Metolius Session is our best-selling pad, it's currently sold out, we are expecting our container from Vietnam in about 6 weeks, in time for the bouldering season in Rocklands.
- Robert
Attachments
IMG_6088 (3).jpg
IMG_6088 (3).jpg (212.04 KiB) Viewed 1045 times

Liffey

Post by Liffey » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:16 pm

Thank you, my worry was my budget wasn't going to stretch to a large enough pad so maybe it makes more sense to leave it until I can afford a larger size. Those two are already a stretch right now!

Will come and have a test of some next time we come climbing (will sneak away when the bf is bouldering as it's supposed to be a surprise)

Thanks guys!