It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:29 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Camp Tri-Cams
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:46 pm 

On some of the overseas climbing sites the CAMP TRI-CAMS are rated very good by the trad climbers, especially the small ones and more particular the pink size is mentioned many times in reviews (big sizes are according to reviews not worth it). It is said those small babies fit certain pockets where nothing else goes. Since last year the also brought out small 3 sizes from 0.25 - up to one. I mean the "goodies/toys" look awsome but i never seen it in a shop in SA to have a good look at it.

Does anybody know a shop in SA who stocks this gear so we can have a good :shock: :oops: at it.
And most importantly is there anybody who uses or used it, what is your experience :?:

W :afro:

Post subject: Re: CAMP TRI-CAMS
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:07 pm 

I am not crazy about Camp but own several Tricams I bought on a Drifters sidewalk sale....true gems for Magaliesberg as their forte is a horizontal crack...where they sometimes do outperform a Cam....they are an undiscovered gem...require a little competence though, but then you shouldn't be doing Trad if you aren't going to concentrate :pirat: ....STILL the way soem people shove in cams & move on without even looking...

So YES they are a well kept secret in S.A. :D

Post subject: Re: Camp Tri-Cams
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:55 pm 

I have checked out drifters many times but never bumped into the tricams. What sizes do you own smelly?

w

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:35 pm 

I have three camp tricams, (sorry 2, a mate left one at the top of Point five gully on 'the Ben'. They are incredibly useful on several counts. I use them mostly for winter climbing as they are light and simple, not prone to freezing and can be hammered into a crack as a chock as well as set as a cam. Also cheep in case need to leave behind on retreat. In summer I'm not going to sub for a friend unless the rock is really suitable such as pockets or shot holes. Nice extra in the rack but no way indispensable.
keith

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:45 am 

I have been using tri-cams for about 3 years now and although not indespensable they definitely have there place where no other piece can work. I bought mine on the net. If you are going to buy the 3 smaller sizes (from pink up 2 sizes) are the bees bollocks. They are light and super robust. I always have mine with me, but I don't always use them.
There have however been a few hairraising moments where only "pinky" would work and I was fairly glad to have the tri-cam.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:42 am 

Got a complete set of Viamont Tri-Cams. Hardly used (once or twice...if that!).

http://www.viamontgear.com/gear/tricams/tricams.htm

If anyone is interested in purchasing....make me an offer.

zb.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:14 am 

The pink one is legendary in horizontal cracks, but I've never seen any in the shops here. I'm heading over to the UK at the end of the month and will be stocking up on gear - happy to bring small pieces back for anyone who is desperate, in return for a beer of course! :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:13 pm 

Nothing wrong with Tricams but i think the wildcountry rockcentrics are much better interms of placing and grip not as easy as removing but they are alot easier to work with when only 1 hand is available.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:56 pm 

I have a few rockcentrics myself. From what I can see the tricams have more camming action but especially as is mentioned in the reviews and in this tread the smaller sizes fit certain pockets where nothing else will go.

W :afro: