It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:27 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Custom Crash Pad
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:46 am 

home made crash pad.

got the open cell, got the closed cell... need the polyester.

Any suggestions on type and where to buy? doesn't matter where...

thanks very much.

Post subject: Re: Custom Crash Pad
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:21 am 

Are you in Jozi? There is a factory outlet that does any type of fabric you need in Chamdor. http://www.chamdorfaktrysales.co.za/

I got some heavy nylon type stuff from them for my first attempt at a home made crashpad, the same stuff that backpacks are made of. In the end bought a Bluewater Samurai, and the fabric is almost the exact same.

Last edited by pierre.joubert on Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:30 am 

Hi Pierre, I bought a 2mx2mx30cm piece of low density foam for my home wall yesterday(works like a charm) and will also have to cover it. I live in Jhb so if you can post that nr I'll be suuuper grateful. :thumleft:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:33 am 

Dreadful website, good prices: http://www.chamdorfaktrysales.co.za/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:09 pm 

Stage1 Tarpaulins 011 493 5998 info@stage1tarps.co.za

Probably not what you need for a boulder pad, but I used these guys to cover my high density foam mats for my home wall. They used 500g/m2 PVC. Its super bomber, hard wearing, and water proof (I'm using the mats outside on rough paving and they get dragged around alot). Think high-jump mat covers. They made the covers to order, with full length zips, carry handles and velcro strips.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:17 am 

Wanted to start bouldering, but almost had a hart attack when I saw what you pay for a bouldering pad (The largest pad = rope + pair of shoes). I'm investigating local manufactures of gymnastic mats and found one that looks promising. They can supply custom sizes, but what I like the most is velcro that allow you to link mats. So I'm thinking 1200 x 800 x 200 with velcro on two side. This will allow we to either have a pad of 2400 x 800 x 200 or 1200 x 1600 x 200. This will fold up into a manageable(?) size of 1200 x 800 x 400. The manufacturer can also attach handles and carry straps

The manufacturer use the following foam HT16 (Medium), HT20 (Medium/high), (high) HT23

Any suggestions/feedback ?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:12 pm 

hey
im also thinking of making a pad.i saw this grey 4cm thick padding that city rock uses to cover the ground in the routes section.does anyone know where i can get this type of foam, or similar high density type foam (dont know if that is what closed cell is?) in the Cape Town area?
What is a good material to use?
thanks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:55 pm 

Hey,

I was also thinking about making a pad but just haven't had the time to get to it and don't really do that much bouldering to justify the purchase of a proper pad... CityRock gets their foam from a place called Sondor Foams in Cape Town. You can get their contact details off their website:
http://www.sondor.co.za

The other place you could try is Kehls, they are upholstery suppliers and you should get whatever materials you need there.
http://www.kehls.co.za/

If anyone has made a pad already, it would be great to see the designs to give us all some ideas... pics. plans, anything... anybody?