In need of a portaledge

Post here for all your gear questions, rants and raves. Ask about gear before you buy it and find out what others are using. NOTE: this forum is NOT for gear sales.

dirktalma

In need of a portaledge

Post by dirktalma » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:18 pm

Me and a friend have this really cool idea of spending a week living on a portaledge on the Climbing Wall at Tuks.

Would someone be generous (very) enough to lend us a portaledge for a week. We plan on doing this somewhere in late Feb. We would obviously pay to post the thing from Cape Town to Pretoria if needed. If you insist, we would also hire one.

Otherwise, has anyone built one before? Any suggestions on good models I can try copy?

Any help would be appreciated. Dirk

Justin

Re: In need of a portaledge

Post by Justin » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:46 am

Got a poop tube you can borrow ;)
Or will you be partaking in the 'bag toss' Not sure how TUKS will feel about this though :drunken:

Seriously though, since weight is not an issue. you might do well to build a wooden framed ledge, attach the relevant straps and get someone to do the canvas for you?
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

dirktalma

Post by dirktalma » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:16 am

I am now thinking of just using an old bed, some old static or 8mm cord and some canvas. I think that will work out fine

Nic Le Maitre

Post by Nic Le Maitre » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:02 am

Depending on your anchors (how good are they?) you could just hang a double bed off them...

To make adjustable bridle straps, the nicest/easiest way that I have found is to take 11mm rope and join it to both ends of a piece of 8mm using a double fisherman knot. You then make a prussik knot in the 8mm and feed the 11mm through it.

These are not the best pictures but you can get the general idea:
http://www.friendsofyosar.org/pictures/ ... rrentPic=7
http://www.friendsofyosar.org/pictures/ ... rentPic=31
http://www.friendsofyosar.org/pictures/ ... rentPic=38
Happy climbing
Nic

dirktalma

Post by dirktalma » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:36 am

Nic, that setup with the statics and a prussic looks brilliant. Nice and simple. Yes, our anchors are thick bolts ie. bomber.

Justin, we'll probably still go to class and other normal things so no need for a poop tube. Thanks anyway.

I have checked out some links to homemade portaledges. If when the time comes that I need a proper ledge and I don't have 8k lying around, I would make one myself. I saw a really cheap one made from PVC pipe (http://www.rockclimbing.com/Articles/Bi ... o__65.html

Thanks for the info

DolphinDawie

Post by DolphinDawie » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:04 am

Dirk -do you still go to lectures?

Nic Le Maitre

Post by Nic Le Maitre » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:36 am

Yes, it is very nice, we've used it before to make stretcher bridles. The only issue is tying the fisherman's knot with the two ends of the 8mm together (or at least getting it neat) can take a little practice. It is completely fail safe (if the fisherman's is tied correctly), if the prussik slips the rope will just get longer until it hits the knot. Using old rope is better, the fluffier it is the better the knots grip.
Happy climbing
Nic

dirktalma

Post by dirktalma » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:38 am

yes, I want to become smart and wise(ass) like my cousin

BAbycoat

Post by BAbycoat » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:52 pm

Portaledge.jpg
Portaledge.jpg (35.94 KiB) Viewed 2112 times