Tiny wired hexes (BD no 1 to 3)

Post here for all your gear questions, rants and raves. Ask about gear before you buy it and find out what others are using. NOTE: this forum is NOT for gear sales.

BruceT

Tiny wired hexes (BD no 1 to 3)

Post by BruceT » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:44 am

While ogling new gear recently I came across tiny, solid BD wired hexes (nos 1, 2, 3).
I am on a tight budget so hexes are my friends, but I have always used WC slung "curved" hexes (I have sizes 4 to 8) as they appear (never actually compared them myself) to sit more securely.
However, these little guys look pretty cool.

Anybody have any experience with the small, solid, straight-sided BD wired hexes?
Any thoughts on using them in horizontal cracks in Natal/Cape sandstone vs vertical cracks in say Dolerite?
Where/why would we use these as opposed to an equivalent sized nut?

Not to limit discussion, but I am climbing "easy" trad (less than 19) so not too fussed about speed of placement, but need to place a lot of gear due to low angle...

Thanks,
Bruce

BruceT

Re: Tiny wired hexes (BD no 1 to 3)

Post by BruceT » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:47 am

Uh, that should be "I have slung, curved, WC hexes sizes 4 to 8"... nothing smiley about that...

shorti

Post by shorti » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:28 am

yea you are only 8) if you have a #9

I've used Mok's small wired hexes. I'm not sure what brand, I think Metolius. They were not straight, but curved (more than WC). As expected, they work, but I've not climbed enough on them to fall in love. Quite frankly I'm not convinced, they only fit in cracks nuts will go in any case and they won't go in all the places nuts will go. I haven't seen them on Mok's rack in ages, so that should say something. I think stick with what you have, they are the most useful in those sizes (get a #9 thought, it's a great weapon :mrgreen: )

BruceT

Post by BruceT » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:31 am

Thanks Shorti.
Yup a no 9 is on the wish list - then I'll be 8)

Old Smelly

Post by Old Smelly » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:31 pm

I have 2 BD type. Nuts place just as easily & often fit better. On occasions they fit but I would not rush out & get them.
Really, its not that bad...I think it's my shoes...