resole DIY

Post here for all your gear questions, rants and raves. Ask about gear before you buy it and find out what others are using. NOTE: this forum is NOT for gear sales.

Franz

resole DIY

Post by Franz » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:11 am

I want to resole my own shoes. Living in the middle of nowhere it is a logistical nightmare to send it.

I remember that there is a rubber that can be bought in 'liquid' form which can be applied to the shoe. Much like the tennis shoe repair goo in the toothpaste tube called sole saver (hitech), but a climbing rubber version. I wanna give the stuff a try.
Anyone knows the brand & where to buy???

Baldrick

Re: resole DIY

Post by Baldrick » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:19 pm

Hi Franz, don't waste your time with this stuff, nothing will replace real rubber. Send the shoes to us and we will make them like new.
regards Nigel
Vertical World Resoles

gripit

Post by gripit » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:32 pm

Hey Franz
I have tried all the DIY stuff before it works for like one trip and then you are in a worse place when it breaks again. Leave it to the pro's they to a good job have all the right tools to get the shape right. Well worth the money in my view. I have had 2 pairs done and WOW the shoes has new life.

lelikegogga

Post by lelikegogga » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:00 pm

Baldrick wrote:Send the shoes to us and we will make them like new.
@Franz, he's not joking. I sent 3 pairs (saltic vampirs) of varying ages to them and when it came back I could not distinguish between the oldest and newest pairs.

Franz

Post by Franz » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:58 am

Hi guys,

sorry for taking soooo long, been somewhat offline.
yeah, everyone has been warning me, but i like trying stuff. would really appreciate if someone could tell me where to get it.
Nigel, if it does not work, I will send the shoes your way!

Franz

Post by Franz » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:37 am

With all due respect, I can only think of one reason why people would warn me against the stuff, but not tell me where to get it...
Maybe the distributors of the diy rubber are also the resolers, and are afraid that I actually get some measure of success with the stuff...
Now I am also afraid that they will hike the price on it to prevent me from going that route.

Fear is what got us stuck in the middle ages for a very long time

lelikegogga

Post by lelikegogga » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:53 am

Is this the stuff you're looking for? http://fiveten.com/products/accessories ... -paint-kit
City Rock had some at some point. A friend of mine tried it, but was not impressed with the result.
Franz wrote:With all due respect, I can only think of one reason why people would warn me against the stuff, but not tell me where to get it...
Yep, I'm a Stealth agent of the WTrF (Worn and Torn rocksole Federation).
:alien:

Franz

Post by Franz » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:19 pm

Knew it would get some response! :cheers:
Thanks!

gripit

Post by gripit » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:29 pm

LOLThe place that i got mine was a little shop in down town JHB but they have been closed for about 10 years now. Sorry not much help

lelikegogga

Post by lelikegogga » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:47 pm

Franz wrote:Knew it would get some response!
:lol: Well played!

:afro:

Baldrick

Post by Baldrick » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:36 am

Hi Franz, as a resoler in SA we do not supply any DIY kits. Firstly because our rubber suppliers do not have such kits and secondly, we do not believe that a DIY solution provides the kind of durability and edging capability of a factory type vulcanising process.
You are welcome to import the Stealth kits which are readily available on the web, but personally I think you are wasting your time and cash as well. Our resoles are guaranteed against faulty workmanship, the DIY ones are not.

Good luck with the DIY kit and I hope it works out for you.

regards Nigel

Franz

Post by Franz » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:34 am

Baldrick wrote:but personally I think you are wasting your time and cash as well. Our resoles are guaranteed against faulty workmanship, the DIY ones are not.
Agreed Nigel, and it wont be the first time I try and fail! I do however love tampering and fidgeting with stuff. Maybe I get it to work, maybe not.
Worst case scenario it does not work and I will need to get the pros to do it for me.

My idea is that it can work to extend the life of the shoe before needing a resole, by patching worn areas early on.
I have some experience with plastics & synthetic materials and believe that it can work if:
i. the sole is very well prepared (light sanding by hand)
ii. made ultra clean
iii. everything on the workshop table is squeaky clean and oil/grease free
iv. the manufacturers instructions for the rubber is religiously followed.

I hope no-one took my previous statement personal, I really wanted to know what to get and found a way to illicit response!

peace :)

brianweaver

Post by brianweaver » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:04 pm

I bought that kit from 5.10 in the past. If you do it really well it lasts about 1 climb, or the first time you drag your toe even a little. BTW if you follow the instructions exactly the results aren't 100%. I experimented a lot before finding the right ratio of vulcanizing agent to rubber. But no matter what, it didn't work right.

You may like tinkering. It takes a lot of effort for very little result.
I hate this real world place... I'd be more than happy to live out there rather...

Baldrick

Post by Baldrick » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:28 pm

Franz,

please remember to place the shoes in an Easterly direction before glueing, this sets the magnetic qualities of the glue and the sole in alignment for optimum adhesion....
just kidding, I agree with Brian that these kits are a complete waste and might last 1 climb

cheers Nigel

Franz

Post by Franz » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:52 pm

Nooit Nigel! You are now just trying to make it come off easier. They should be facing West! lol.

I still like tinkering though!

A couple of weeks from now you get the opportunity to tell me "i told you so!"