It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:45 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:44 pm 

As there seems to be many different views on rope care and maintenance, I have contacted all the major rope manufacturers and asked them to clear up a few things, this is what I have so far, will update when new info arrives:

Stephen Parola - New England Ropes
Antoine Auffret - Beal
Philippe - Edelweiss Ropes

Wash: -
Q: I only use cold water, how beneficial is it to use a light detergent ?
A: A light detergent will help get out any grains of dirt (or salt). These grains of dirt will act as an abrasive when the rope is worked, cutting into the fibers.
A: It is better to use a light detergent, because it aids in the elimination of dirt and is more effective than just plain water.
A: Cold water is fine to wash your rope. If it is very dirty you can use some detergent for delicate textile. It is then of course necessary to rinse well.

Q: Should a washing machine be used or washed manually ?
A: Manual is the safest way. In washing machines people have had problems with the rope coming out of the wash bag and getting damaged or damaging the machine.
A: It does not matter. In both cases ensure that you use water cooler than 30 °C., it is In A washing machine better to protect your rope. You can put it in a pillowcase or a thin fabric bag for exemple.
A: You are welcome to use a washing machine (cold water, program for delicate textile). We recommend however to put the rope in a pillow case before you put it in the washing machine.

Rather use a detergent that is made specifically for your rope by the manufacturer.
Never use a fabric softener!!!!!!!!!!!
Remember, if you look after your rope and avoid excess dirt there will be no need to wash it.
Always use a ground sheet to avoid exsess dust, mud and other dirt from contaminate your rope.

Dry: -
Q: Should a rope be flaked out in a cool dry dark place or should it be hung on a clothing rack in a dry cool place ?
A: Aope should be stored in a cool, dry , dark place.
A: It is better on a clothing rack in a dry cool place not over 35 °C
A: You should hang it in a dry place, away from heat sources. A fan is OK.

Q: Can I use a fan to speed up the drying process ?
A: To dry something you need air flow so a fan could help. Or you could hang it out side (perhaps under a tree so that you do not have a lot of direct sun light on the rope) to let nature help. The one thing you should avoid is using a dryer.
A: A fan will help speed up the drying process. Under no condition should a fan with a heating element be used because the air of the fan is to hot and it may damage the structure of the Polyamide with wich the rope is made
A: A fan is OK

Q: How long after I have washed a rope does it take to dry properly and when can I use it safely ? 2-3days or 2-3 weeks ?
A: It all depends on the humidity, high humidity will take a lot longer.
A: It depends on the temperature and the humidity of the area were you let your rope to dry. If it is dry and about 20° C with air wich circulates 1 or 2 days will be enough.
A: It is not possible for us to state a time to dry a rope as it depends from the environment.

Last edited by timmy on Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:26 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:35 am 

Storage: -
Q: Should a rope be coiled & hung or flaked out and left lying in a rope bag ?
A: No Comment
A: No mater. There are no consequences. It is up to you.
A: You should best coil and hang your rope, or leave it in a rope bag (if it is not wet of course!). Just left on the ground is not a good idea, particularly if it is a concrete ground. If you place it over a piece of fabric, not directly in contact with the ground, then yes you can leave it there.

Always store in cool dry place away from sunlight!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If anyone has more to add or has further questions, please mail me and I will update this posting. :)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mammut got back to me on the care and maintinence of ropes, they sent me a 33 page pdf file,..... if anyone wants a copy, just mail me and I will get it to you...