Wanted: Bouldering Pad

Do you have gear to sell? Looking for gear? Wanted & For Sale. Post it here.
Pictures will help you sell your gear faster.
MarkieMark

Wanted: Bouldering Pad

Post by MarkieMark »

Hi there, I’m coming down from the UK for a few months and looking to buy a bouldering pad or two for while I’m here.

RichardL

Re: Wanted: Bouldering Pad

Post by RichardL »

Hi Mark
There are often a few people selling pads on this forum, not sure if they are still available but otherwise Check out CityROCK/ MMO. They have a few good options available
https://www.mountainmailorder.co.za/cli ... rash-pads/

When are you planning to get to SA?
Rocklands is always a good place to head to for bouldering but going into Summer it gets very hot there so your sessions will be early morning and late afternoon.
Thermophage

Post by Thermophage »

MadRock Duo from https://vertigogear.co.za/
Best pad you can get for the price in RSA without question.
garryhare

Post by garryhare »

Hi. I'm in Durban and have a Black Diamonf 1000x1140 pad for sale R2300.
Garry 0845562786
Grey25

Post by Grey25 »

Thermophage wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:47 am MadRock Duo from https://vertigogear.co.za/
Best pad you can get for the price in RSA without question.
How can be the best pad for the the price if there is no stock available in RSA???
More than likely when new stock lands it wont be the same price...
Thermophage

Post by Thermophage »

Even if it does increase 1k with new stock, it is still the best pad for the price in the country.
Given how the price hasn't increased in years I would suspect it won't hike too much when available again.

Also...CTFO with the "???" :hapban
The Jimmy

Post by The Jimmy »

Well let's get nerdy about it, shall we? :eye:

Below a quick table of the popular boulder pads (not ALL the available pads) available at our major SA climbing retailers, and their prices as listed on websites today. Ignoring perceptions re quality, durability, colour, etc etc which may influence your choice, and purely using Rands paid for amount of foam under your bum (disclaimer: square-meterage of foam, not volume of foam) to compare, the 3 x Mad Rock pads we can get in SA actually come out tops, assuming I guessed correctly about the Duo's price when available again.

Actually, since the Mad's are generally 5" of foam as compared to most other brands' 4" of foam, they'll probably win on a foam volume-based comparison too. Any discount you can get compared to these prices will obviously swing things in your favour.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Thermophage

Post by Thermophage »

The Jimmy wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:39 pm Well let's get nerdy about it, shall we? :eye:

Below a quick table of the popular boulder pads (not ALL the available pads) available at our major SA climbing retailers, and their prices as listed on websites today. Ignoring perceptions re quality, durability, colour, etc etc which may influence your choice, and purely using Rands paid for amount of foam under your bum (disclaimer: square-meterage of foam, not volume of foam) to compare, the 3 x Mad Rock pads we can get in SA actually come out tops, assuming I guessed correctly about the Duo's price when available again.

Actually, since the Mad's are generally 5" of foam as compared to most other brands' 4" of foam, they'll probably win on a foam volume-based comparison too. Any discount you can get compared to these prices will obviously swing things in your favour.
You forgot to add units to your width and length fields....tsk tsk tsk, extra slack on the next belay :dwarf:
MarkieMark

Post by MarkieMark »

Well thanks for all the replies! This has been very helpful. Currently spending a good £70 on extra luggage to fly all my gear down so any and all savings help.
robertbreyer

Post by robertbreyer »

Nice work Niel.
A few more things to think about:
The Metolius Magnum pad is not on the list. It's the biggest and most expensive pad on the SA market. R7,600.
Our CityROCK /mountainmailorder.co.za web site shows real-time inventory. So there are 20 available of the Magnum.
If you buy the pads from us and export the pad, you get 15% VAT back at the airport.
CityROCK also rent pads.
IMHO the best gear review web site is
https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/ ... ius-magnum

- Robert
MarkieMark

Post by MarkieMark »

All sorted! Thanks everyone.