Quantcast
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:46 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:44 pm 

Looking for a second hand chest harness for my son.
I'm in Durban

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:19 pm 

Hi

To make one: Buy about 2-3m of webbing, the wider the better (about 2.5cm works well). Fold it in half. Tie an overhand knot on the bight, with the loop of the overhand big enough so that you can pass the webbing through it. put the overhand knot in the centre of your chest. Put your left arm between the strands of webbing. Take both strands behind your back and under your right arm pit. Pass the ends of the webbing through the loop of the overhand knot and down towards the belay loop of the harness. Tie the ends of the webbing together with a tape knot so that the webbing stops just short of the belay loop. Join the webbing to the belay loop using a maillon (rather than a carabiner, it is smaller and less likely to break if loaded incorrectly). Either tie in by using a rethreaded fig-8 through the overhand and the harness (if leading) or using a fig-8 in to a carabiner on the webbing linking the chest harness to the belay loop.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:18 am 

Nicolaas,
Assuming you have a young child:
Children are top heavy and load a harness differently than adults. This cause them to easily invert.
Assuming your child is older:
Their body's are similar to an adult's, and generally a sit harness is simply to big.

Using a chest harness as explained by nic is fine for adults, but using it on children still leaves a tie in point below the center of gravity.
However: If you can find a way to use the chest harness as the main tie in point, and the leg harness almost as a backup I think it may work.
Ie: Have the Fig 8 tied to the chest, and have a separate, non loading line between the chest harness and the leg harness.
A rather make-shift solution though.

Nicolaas, the amount of replies on your post indicates that there are not many children's chest harness going around.

Depending on your child's age, I would REALLY recommend you purchase a proper children's harness with the tie in point at the correct height.
They retail new for under R500, and I'm sure they are available second hand too.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:13 am 

Heya

as a parent, I would certainly recommend a kids harness. (peace of mind)
Your using it for whats its designed.
Wild country make a really nice padded one, which my kiddie loves (it has little koalas on them)
and its "her" harness.

http://www.wildcountry.co.uk/Products/N ... FullyBody/

although there are some available from BD and petzl, ask around.

I used a fully adjustable chest harness while I was pregnant, I would not use it for my kid though.
I suppose it all depends on how much your kid weighs.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:19 am 

Hey Nicolaas

I use the petzl for both my boys aged 4 and 7 and fits fine. Using a kids harness really does give me piece of mind, and at +- 500 buck its worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:01 pm 

Thank you for all the replies!

Whether to fully harness your child all depends on what type of climb is involved, Although I am hesitant to admit but the guys that do 'kiddie' indoor walls are right on a vertical face on top rope a normal harness is fine for little ones as long as it is tight enough. The problem comes in if they can flip over as their lack of waists would allow for the possibility of slipping out.

I can make my own chest harness but they tend to suffer from not fitting the person correctly and with children, having it shift into a dangerous position is a real possibility.

I think that a proper chest harness will allow for correct loading as when it is correctly fitted its tie in point is in the right place and when joined to the sit harness its loading point can be wherever you want it to be.

A kiddies harness is just that a kiddies harness, besides being outside of my meagre climbing kit budget, it is only useful for a certain number of years so were the rest of my kit can last anything between 7-20years a kiddies harness is only useful until they get too big for it.