Quantcast
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:36 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:14 pm 

Brand new La Sportiva Arco (velcro) climbing shoes for sale. Arrived yesterday from the States. Size UK13. Contact me if you are interested. Price R1100.00

Last edited by smirs on Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:31 pm 

Post a pic of these canoes!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:05 pm 

Eish bra, that's a bit of profit included on your side? $109 from moosejaw.com = R800

http://www.moosejaw.com/outdoors/products/LaSportivaArcoShoeFall2009.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:11 pm 

pierre.joubert wrote:
Eish bra, that's a bit of profit included on your side? $109 from moosejaw.com = R800

http://www.moosejaw.com/outdoors/products/LaSportivaArcoShoeFall2009.html

Actually not. Shipping was an extra $79 and SA customs a further R513.28 wich means that I am losing almost R900.

I also phoned La Sportiva's agents in SA and was informed that the arco (which is one of the new models) will only be arriving in SA in about 12-18 months. I did in fact buy the pair from moosejaw. Extremely cool internet shop!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:27 pm 

Well, then eish sorrie. You should've said something earlier. I just bought a pair of Katana lace-ups and Boulder X approach shoes from backcountry.com for slightly more than that. Check them out, they're having a special at the moment. Set of C3s (5) for $240. The trick is to get someone to bring them back for you so you dont pay the extra shipping :thumright

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:25 pm 

school fees :)

will check it out, thanx!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:32 pm 

ja the biggest whack is duties (tax) on footwear and textiles. better to buy here if somebody can't bring it over. and moosejaw is a kiff & trendy shop but they nailed you with the shipping. sies for them. backcountrygear and gearexpress are much better to deal with.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:34 pm 

MarkM, I'm an expert on big shoes and the correct technical term is "oil tankers" not "canoes".

Smirs. I'm interested but would need to try them on. Are you in jhb? Assume you're selling 'cos they don't fit you?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:32 am 

Hector wrote:
MarkM, I'm an expert on big shoes and the correct technical term is "oil tankers" not "canoes".

Smirs. I'm interested but would need to try them on. Are you in jhb? Assume you're selling 'cos they don't fit you?

Hi Hector

Yup, does not fit. I'm in Pretoria but we can make a plan. Where in jhb are you? Let me know.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:36 pm 

Smirs, I sent you a pm.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:01 am 

sorry, this is a slight threadjack...

mokganjetsi wrote:
ja the biggest whack is duties (tax) on footwear and textiles.

mokganjetsi/pierre: Seems you guys have done all this before - any idea what the import tax would be on something like a set of nuts?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:34 am 

I don't think hardware attracts any additional duties, but you will have to pay VAT on the items you bring in.
So, if you pay R100 (for the nuts) then VAT amounts to (R100 * 10%) = R110 * 14%, So the VAT you pay will be R15.40.
Cost to bring in nuts R100 + R15.40 = R115.40
So, basically for hardware work on 15.4% for VAT.

Depending on how you ship it, the Post Office also normally adds a R25 handling fee.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:08 am 

Import tax on climbing hardware is 0%. Shoes and clothing you'll get nailed on.

And Mark, last time I checked, VAT is still at 14% (not 15.4%?)

Buy them now: http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/DMM-Wallnuts-Set/DMM0010M.html

Last edited by pierre.joubert on Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:09 am 

Fanks guys!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:59 am 

Pierre, VAT is 14%, but the government likes to add on 10% to the landed rand value before appling the 14% VAT rule. Ultimately that makes it 15.4%

The steps to calculate the total duties and VAT are:

1. Calculate the Rand (ZAR) value of the invoice (including shipping). This should be done by converting the foreign amount (INV) into ZAR using the SARS exchange rate (ROE) for the date of export. This is the customs value.

2. Calculate the import duties, (different items obviously carry differnt duties, normally expressed as a % of landed Rand value) based on customs value. These are the duties (D).

3. Add 10% to the customs value from step 1. Multiply this new value by 14% to get the VAT amount for the goods.

4. Add 10% to the duties value from step 2. Multiply this new value by 14% to get the VAT amount for the duties.

5. Add the duties amount from step 2 to the two VAT amounts from steps 3 and 4 to get a the total amount payable to SARS.

6. Add the clearing fee (usualy R25 for SAPO and R100 for UPS) to the step 5 value to get the total amount you have to pay. (Also, if your package does get pulled by SARS you may require a clearing agent so you can bank on about R350 to get it cleared by an agent.)

All of the above expressed in algebra:

1. CV = INV x ROE
2. D = CV x ID%
3. VATGoods = (CV x 1.1) x 0.14
4. VATDuties = (D x 1.1) x 0.14
5. TotalSARS = D + VATGoods + VATDuties
6. Grand Total = Clearance Fee + TotalSARS + Clearing Agent Costs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:17 pm 

motherf@#$%rs.

Thanks Mark, very useful for future reference !

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:11 pm 

Thanks Mark, lemme just get this foot out my mouth so I can type. :(

Whatever you do, DO NOT break the law by buying gear and sending it to a friend in the US. DO NOT get your friend to remove any invoices OR tags (thus basically making your gear second hand). Then DO NOT get your friend to post it with USPS (US Postal Service). DO NOT tell your friend to write 'Second hand climbing gear/gift' on the package, because that would constitute fraud. You would be stealing tax money, that we desperately need. Breaking the law in this way would cost you free shipping from the shop to your friend, and a 1.5 kg package (e.g. harness, shoes, belay device, locker x 2) would cost about $35 from the East Coast to RSA last time some scoundrel broke the law in this counter-revolutionary way.

Please obey the laws of this country. They exist to benifit us all.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:55 pm 

pierre.joubert wrote:
Thanks Mark, lemme just get this foot out my mouth so I can type. :(

You would be stealing tax money, that we desperately need. Breaking the law in this way would cost Please obey the laws of this country. They exist to benifit us all.

It is great to see that climbers still see the short term benifits of buying on line rather then from the friendly shop in your area that sponsors local climbing comps etc. they exist to benifit YOU.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:17 pm 

Warren dude, this conversation is old. Money talks, bullshit walks. Will you sell me a set of C3s for R360 each?

One question, pick one of the answers following:

Why do most climbers not have a full trad rack?
1. They're still trying to win one as a prize in a local comp
2. They don't have a shitload of cash to shell out at local prices

They exist to benefit ME? Really? Because the last time I checked, my Drifters spend was a little over R12 000. How much RRR worth of prizes have you sponsored IN TOTAL?

If the difference for one dude wanting to get into trad is between buying a set (of nuts, cams, whatever) online and not buying them at all...well then :thumright

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:39 pm 

Glad to see my thread evolved into a minefield of usefull info :lol:

Anyway, I'm with pierre on this one. The reason why I opted to buy online was because none of the local sellers had the product... And the products they had was very expensive and not the new cool stuff we all want!

I mean really: what do you expect is going to happen when a client enquires about the 2010 model in a brand and all you can offer is the 2008 one???

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:51 pm 

Perhaps this depends on the specific gear you want to buy but for my purposes this time both Drifters & Mountain mail order compared favourably to the aforementioned US guys (even slightly cheaper, can you believe it?), and that's not even taking into account the possiblility of a SARS surprise check.

I guess if you can bypass customs it'll always work out cheaper buying from over the seas. Anyways, "local is lekker" has my vote for now, at least until I see a big price difference in something I want to buy, or then as pierre / smirs said, simply can't find it locally.

Luckily i have simple tastes 8)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:09 pm 

I'm with Emile, "local is lekker". There is nothing better than going into the climbing/outdoor store, having a look around and if they have what you are looking for. Buy it. Sure if there is something that you need that they dont have and are not able to get then by all means order online.
Besides if there is a problem with the said item atleast you have somewhere to hand it in. Take the Dragon cam #6 recall as an e.g. Whould be a bummer if you had to ship it back to were you bought it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:37 pm 

There are currently roughly 116 "catologue" shoe models available from La sportiva, this EXCLUDES "asian" and "to be discontinued" models, which makes deciding what the hell to actually import a long process, which ultimately comes down to landed price.
Fact: the larger percentage of climbers base their decision to buy something, on price!
almost everyday some one phones us enquiring about some or other model and guess what.... with the exception of the Solution, the requests are never the same.

Currently very few of the 2010 models are available to us, as the big Bumper markets of the States and Europe get preference on certain production lines.
This thread has reminded me to tape a piece of foam to my desk (a little distance from the phone, just below my keyboard), just in time for all the incredible 2011 models to go online and whip our SAffa online surfers into a frenzy.

When the Gandalf came out everyone and his aunty wanted one, we asked enquirers to please order from their regular retailers after giving the price, and guess what, not one order for the Gandalf.
Why? it is too expensive once it has landed, as is many of the preferred models.

The Climbing market is just too small to justify bringing in every model in full size curves.
Fact: Everyone wanted the speedster, its available, but now people dont like the "look" of it because its different. meanwhile those brave enough to try it plan to buy the next pair a little bit bigger, but considering our sell through on this model is it viable to go through the whole exercise?

As always I stand to be corrected, but for any climbing brand available in this country, what is imported for the whole country over the year is probably what one little shop in the states or Europe does in the same period, if not in 6 months.
And yes while buying in bulk will give us good discounts, these threads play a small part in enforcing our decisions not to do so, as we will pay a very heavy price if it flops.............. not you.

But that out the way I would like to thank every single person who supports the local market and the many small businesses around this awesome sport, yes it is growing and yes one day things will be more favourable, and perhaps in the far future a climber will be a household name.
right now you help keep my rusty little ford on the road and my kid in school, and this job sometimes keeps me off the crag therefore keeping everyone out of dangers way,

I love you all for that. (except the trollers)

Peace! happy climbing!

Its Friday, WHAT what why ? are we doing here?!!!???

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:03 pm 

Just because I know someone will have something to say,
the Gandalf is now known as the Ganda.

xx

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:15 pm 

And no...... before anyone asks, the Testarossas are not now known as Testes.