It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:59 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:36 pm 

Hey guys,

My name is Paco and I am working for a NGO called Masifunde in P.E. My question is does anybody know where I can get old or used static/dynamic ropes (from 20-40 meters). I can use every rope, it doesn't matter if the sheath is broken or it has a cut, because it is not used for climbing but for games used during a summer camp for kids from the Walmer township.

Perhabs some of you have ropes you can not use for climbing anymore. The games I am doing are problem-solving games, for that i need static ropes

another question is. do you know a slackline dealer in P.E. or does anyone has an old one he does not need anymore. We do not have a huge budget so we relay on cheap used stuff or on donations.

Perhaps sombody can help me
Kind Regards

Paco
www.masifunde.de

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:57 pm 

I dont know where you're going to get the statics as climbers usually pass those on to someone in the rope-access field, but there are fairly cheap ways of making a slackline.
I live in a commune in Pretoria with a couple of climbers and we use a length of tubular tape. It's not as wide as a real slackline, but it works well.
All you need is 3 steel carabiners, two slings or old ropes to tie around trees and a length of tubular tape. I believe MountainMailOrder sells tubular tape for R17 per meter. Otherwise you can buy Tie-Down tape with rachets. A friend of mine bought 100m for R400 in Centurion just the other day

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:32 pm 

Thanks a lot this information brought me futher. I think i will post the rope issue in the other forum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:56 pm 

what is centurion? is it a company, because i couldn't find contact details on the web
thanks for your help

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:20 pm 

Centurion is a big suburb between Pretoria and Johannesburg. Most big hardware stores would have tie down tapes. You can also try some truck or trailer spares shop. They usually have long enough rolls of tape. Just shop around for the cheapest

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:21 pm 

Centurion is a big suburb between Pretoria and Johannesburg. Most big hardware stores would have tie down tapes. You can also try some truck or trailer spares shop. They usually have long enough rolls of tape. Just shop around for the cheapest

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:55 pm 

Hi Paco

I'm in PE & have some old static & climbing rope. Not sure how much is left or how long they are. Please send me a mail; marshall (at) qsafrica.co.za

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:11 pm 

Hi Paco,

I recently bought an old static rope from wonderwall climbing gym in Kya Sands, JHB. It cost me R35 for 25m of rope.
Speak to them, cos they always replacing ropes there and im sure theyd help you out for that cause.
Good luck!

http://www.wonderwall.co.za

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:36 pm 

Hi Paco

Think I can point you in the right direction wrt the slackline. There is a place in Patterson rd. in Port elizabeth (Here : http://bit.ly/dXATDY ) called Webbing Products. They basically make all the kinds of webbing you can think of. If you go there and dig through the bin of rejects you will definitely find something you can use. They usually sell those pieces super cheap and usually there are really long lengths with nothing wrong. I made some nice tow straps for my 4x4 from that bin.

Good luck!