Quantcast
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:09 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:59 am 

I would like to know what basic gear is needed to do this expedition and what is the cost per person doing it, like travel costs and accommodation/camping?

And if anyone is interested in going on such a expedition also let me know!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:29 pm 

Chat to these guys for an idea of the logistical costs:
http://www.adventuredynamics.co.za/

And depending on where you're based, chat to the guys at Drifters for an idea of the kit that you'll need. If you take your hiking seriously, chances are that you've got most of the kit you need (all your layers from thermals to hard-shells, good boots, a daypack, good sleeping bag and liner, etc.).

If you're looking for an expedition though, Kili isn't it. With all the regulations it's more of a guided walk at altitude (local legislation forces you to take guides and cooks). Still, I'm sure it's a fun walk and worth doing if you're into that sort of thing! I know a few people that really enjoyed it...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:17 pm 

You can also chat Paul or Thomas at African Outdoor Adventures:

http://www.africanoutdooradventures.com/

If you're based in Cape Town you can attend one of their monthly talks regarding Kili. These are held at Camp and Climb in Retreat (situated in the Builders Warehouse complex), every first Wednesday of the month.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:26 pm 

Hey,

Went up killi in september this year with my cousin, very cool trip! If you wanna go on the cheap this is what you do. Book a return flight on kahlula for around R2000.00 to dar es salam, then take the bus to moshi cost u 15 dollars us, once in moshi there are many local tour opperators, we used akaro tours, it cost around a $1000 each, excluding porters tips, for a 6 day trip. you can also rent most gear there its not the best but will do, shoes r most important. Ave fun and the people there are so chilled so don't stress about booking in advance!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:48 pm 

Geez Thanx guys for all the info!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:14 pm 

I did the trip in August. I went with Bryson Adventures and thought the porters were excellent. I believe we paid $900 USD to go up the mountain without accounting for porter tips. I flew straight to Kilimanjaro and it was expensive from Cape Town plus I had a lot of delays with Ethiopian Airways. I would definitely avoid that airline!

As far as stuff, you really don't need too much gear. I had friends who did the whole route in tennis shoes and wished I wouldn't have bought nice hiking shoes as they were NOT necessary. Also, a lot of places will rent out any gear that you might need at an affordable cost.

One of my guides was Festo and his email is festokem@yahoo.com. I would suggest him.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:57 pm 

I walked in approach shoes with double socks. No issue. You really do not need any special gear except perhaps a decent rain jacket in case it rains lower down. You can tog up with ordinary stuff. Take a beany, gloves - any basic type - 3 layers for your upper body (unless you have a good down jacket and then you don't need much else), 2 or 3 for your lower body. Make sure you carry fluid insulated (in your jacket) on the last day as it freezes.

The problem with KILI is the amount of time you have to do it and to accommodate to the altitude. You got at least a 25% chance of failure if you try to do it in less than 6 days. 2 of our party did not reach Gilman's point.

Finally, take wet wipes. Very useful as there is no running water.

People die on KILI all the time and mostly due to altitude. A lot of people go up there daily - several hundred so it is a bit of a human zoo.
It is costly and not at all an adventure. For that you need to go to Mt Kenya...

Altitude is not fun but I suppose it is worth doing for those people who have never done anything like it before.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:36 am 

Completely agree with SNORT in all regards: clothing, water in jacket, altitude sickness (damn! it is a bitch!), wet wipes (they are your best friend!), not really an "adventure", etc.

I would also definitely take a bandana (holds back hair, is also a towel, etc.) and a small bottle of hand sanitizer is nice. Definitely take a book and a deck of cards as there is a lot of down time at camp, if you are doing a 6+ day trip.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:57 am 

Definitely sort yourself out in Moshi with the local operators. I went up in 1991 for a quarter of the price that some dollar wielding Americans paid. The locals pull all sorts of tricks out of the bag (like Tanzanian citizenships!) and don't forget you can bargain.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:04 pm 

Again Thanks for all the replies!

OK I just want to know a bit about financing, putting all the costs together that I can gather from the respective sites everyone gave me etc. and remember we are still student and need to go on a bit of a budget, so I figured R20 000 per person? is that realistic or under budget?

Also considering we have almost all of the gear like hiking boots and bags and decent sleeping bag etc.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:27 pm 

R20k is plenty...

Kenya airways have return flights to Kiliminjaro airport for $1036 and another 12k will cover everything including an AdventureDynamics guided tour

Or if you got more time than money fly Ethiopian Air but it means you arrive at 01h30 in the morning and leave at 03h30am for $760 = R5500 Go to Kayak.com

Kenya Airways
JNB
KQ JNB 11:15a JRO 7:00p
11:15a
JRO
KQ JRO 6:00a JNB 12:20p
6:00a

JRO 7:00p
JNB 12:20p

1 6h 45m
1 7h 20m

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:32 am