Stopper + draw found on Frasiers arrow

Did you forget you favourite boots at the crag? Or, did you find some quickdraw on the 4th bolt of some route?
Guardian

Stopper + draw found on Frasiers arrow

Post by Guardian » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:03 pm

Well used stopper + draw found on Frasiers arrow.
Was in a bit of a random place so probably dropped by follower from above.
There is nothing more beautiful than a well dressed alpine butterfly.

Warren G

Re: Stopper + draw found on Frasiers arrow

Post by Warren G » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:43 pm

Why don't you keep the post more vague than what you posted above, by saying something along the lines of: "Gear found on Fraisters Arrow. If you lost something here please get hold of me to identify it." this way it avoids the possibility of unscrupuous people from claiming the gear.

Originally I posted the following, but I don't like the tone I used, apologies to Guardian:

That is quite fair "Finders Keepers" booty. If they wanted it enough they would have rapped down for it, or shamelessly posted it as lost on this forum: I would still argue it would be fair game, but thats a separate debate.

Certainly demand a bottle of something good from the claimant.
Last edited by Warren G on Wed May 10, 2017 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sandbagging is a dirty game

Stu

Post by Stu » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:00 pm

Warren G wrote:Why bother posting this stuff?!
Because he's honest :wink:
How would you feel if someone returned your lost gear to you. Wouldn't you feel happy.

Guardian

Post by Guardian » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:13 pm

Because I think the gear is worth more than the 130 bytes of data the post takes up on this server, but less than a bottle of something good.
Like I said, it was in a spot that they probably wouldn't have found it even if I rapped. Beginner followers drop stuff on beginner routes.
I don't particularly want someone's trusty old gear.
You seem very greedy.

Warren G

Post by Warren G » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:05 am

If you drop a nut and draw you have dropped about R500, and you could buy your way out of that problem, but what if its your left climbing shoe, on pitch 2 of 4? I bet you'd rap for that, so why not the nut and draw? Perceived value. It is possible that the party in question did this, but failed to find the gear, nor did they find it when walking around the base of the route afterwards. If they went through this process you would think they would then post about it here on the forum, but that isn't the case. Therefore I conclude one of two possibilities:

1. They have given up on the gear, in which case Finders Keepers would apply
2. They don't know about this forum. In which case there is no value in your post, so keep an ear out for people looking for the piece, and if none come forward it is yours. At least you're trying, and I respect you for that.

It's possible that these are new or very casual climbers (its a very easy, classic route), and so most likely the party falls into the second group above.

Beginning something new is the least efficient part of the journey: one is most likely to have epics, loose gear and make silly choices when one knows no better. My dad calls it "learning tax". In trad the most visible part of this tax is "Stuck" or dropped gear. Climbers claiming found gear for their own is a generations old tradition, and while forums like this can lessen the cost of that tax, it doesn't mean it disappears.

Guardian

Post by Guardian » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:53 pm

Holy fucking shit. I am sorry. I'll never post anything here again.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Mon May 01, 2017 4:59 pm

Warren is a knob sometimes, Guardian, don't be phased, keep being true to your name, man, Good on you.

Warren G

Post by Warren G » Tue May 02, 2017 1:32 am

Guardian I do respect what you are doing here, but I must confess it is far more than I am willing too: if it were me I would not mention anything voluntarily on this forum, but rather wait until the owner publicly claims it is lost.

Again, apologies for the tone of my original posts (as you can see I have edited my first one, while keeping the original out of respect for the replies they garnered. I have removed the original post on this reply as no further comments were made.

I do still doubt the owner will come forward for the reasons I highlighted above, but it would be nice to get proven wrong.

I will bump this thread up for you.

Warren G

Post by Warren G » Wed May 10, 2017 11:52 am

Bump.

Please note the changes I made above

emile

Post by emile » Wed May 10, 2017 12:21 pm

Warren G wrote: Again, apologies for the tone of my original posts (as you can see I have edited my first one, while keeping the original out of respect for the replies they garnered. I have removed the original post on this reply as no further comments were made.
Respect.

wildx

Post by wildx » Thu May 11, 2017 8:57 am

I think we should go visit Warren G, seems like he would have a whole room of things he picked up... We could find some lost gear over there.
Thanks guardian for posting.