Lost helmet below Captain Hook

Did you forget you favourite boots at the crag? Or, did you find some quickdraw on the 4th bolt of some route?
Hilton

Lost helmet below Captain Hook

Post by Hilton » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:00 pm

Guys and gals, my well-hated bright orange Petzl Sirocco helmet did the long drop off Captain Hook and landed on the Upper Fountain Ledge in a bush. The spot was close to where the commercial abseilers pass the upper ledge. This happened last Friday. My head was not in the helmet.
I have checked with Abseil Africa and no one is admitting to having gone off with my helmet. If climbers picked it up, they were probably on their way to Jacob's Ladder or the Jeopardy Wall.
I detest this helmet but detest my old Edelrid helmet even more. And I love climbing without a helmet, as in climbing Myhrr today with Karl and Anton. But I've learned lessons over the years and figure that I should climb with a dome. Just two days ago Tinie and I abseiled off the top station on the Africa Corner bolted rap route. I got to the next set of bolts. Tinie came down and got off the ropes to go to the end of the ledge for a pee down Mellow Steady Flow (kinda appropriately, I suppose...). I pulled the ropes. A rock came hurtling down and crashed into the ledge where Tinie had been standing moments earlier.
Please help this guy grow into early middle age in one piece and return that damned helmet.
'Preciate it.
Hilton