Yellowwood Amphitheatre Rescue

Latest South Africa climbing news! Good news - Hard sends, first ascents, onsights, wicked redpoints, competitions, etc. Bad news - accidents, muggings, rockfalls, etc. You can also send it on over to info@climbing.co.za.

Justin

Yellowwood Amphitheatre Rescue

Post by Justin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:14 am

From the WSAR Facebook Group:

RESCUE MISSION - Yellowwood Amphitheatre Update 21:00 2017/07/06

Due to inclement weather conditions, neither Skymed nor the South African Air Force Oryx Helicopters could reach the incident location. The SAAF Oryx was however able to insert a Medical / Technical Rescue party a fair distance away who were able to descend to and stabalise the patient. At the same time, a party of four additional rescuers departed the trail head with a 6 hour hike ahead to take additional resources to the team already in the mountain as they prepared to spend the night in the mountains with the patient. At first light tomorrow another attempt will be made to extract the patient using aerial support, failing this teams are already preparing to coordinate a technical carry out of the patient. All teams have reached the patient and report that everyone is in high spirits and that the patient is stable.
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

SNORT

Re: Yellowwood Amphitheatre Rescue

Post by SNORT » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:00 pm

Any news on this?

Brussel

Post by Brussel » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:08 pm

Without divulging many details:

Climber took a lead fall on Prime Time direct (after his partner onsighted your crux pitch :wink: ) he pulled two pieces of gear falling about 25m and landed up with relatively severe injuries. Fortuitously, two rescue volunteers were climbing as a second party nearby on Armageddon time. The injured climber was lowered by his partner and the two other climbers assisted at the base of the main wall. Airforce managed to insert medic late afternoon in terrible blustery wind conditions with the Oryx. A cold night was spent at the base of the wall and and the Oryx extracted everyone just after first light and then took the patient to hospital where he is recovering.

Nic Le Maitre

Post by Nic Le Maitre » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:20 pm

Firstly I'd like to give Snort, Squeaky and anyone else who has gear up at Yellowwood a sincere apology for using their stashed gear without asking for permission.

We put everything back where it was with exception of one foam mat that came down in the stretcher with the patient that is now with Ant. We used a little of the gas from the Cadac, some of the food and tea from the yellow barrel and used some of the stashed water as well. Unfortunately the kettle that was stashed under the sundowner boulder by the tree was frightened by the Oryx in the morning and set off down the scree slope at a rate of knots. We were unable to recover it. We will happily provide beer/a new kettle/food/forfeits as desired in return.

Thanks again, your gear made a really unpleasant night much more bearable, especially for the patient.
Happy climbing
Nic

Brussel

Post by Brussel » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:01 pm

The stashes where a life saver, perhaps even quite literally, so thanks to the owners :thumright We'll happily reimburse you for beer and next time I'm up there I'll carry a few extras for the stashes.

SNORT

Post by SNORT » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:21 am

Hey guys, one of the reasons for the stash being there is actually for this kind of eventuality. You do not have to replace any of the consumables. And I am very pleased that the night was more bearable than otherwise. Only thing really is to know what is missing or out of place so that the next users know what to expect and you have already provided that info. Thanks. Hope the your patient is feeling better. I am rather concerned about the third pitch of Prime Time. I have climbed it 7 or more times and led it each time because it is so sketchy except once when Dave Vallet did in 2010 and he found it very scary and tricky. I even wrote this about it.
Dave the led the next pitch (22) sailing through the first crux but got a little unstuck on the second crux which entails a difficult mantel move after a long run out with only a tiny cam in a very shallow slot for protection. He eventually did it the more forgiving way by down-climbing a few metres and then climbing up on the left.
. The more forgiving way is what I worked out when I first did it with Ant but it is mega run-out and not obvious.

SuperM

Post by SuperM » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:05 am

Well done to the rescue team and volunteers you guys are all legends!

Speedy recovery to the injured climber!
Super Mario

mokganjetsi

Post by mokganjetsi » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:51 am

sounds like that pitch deserves an "R" rating at least. seeing that the unfortunate climber ripped 2 pieces, are we not considering routes with marginal gear to be okay, when they should really have a proper warning or have a peg / bolt to make it reasonably safe?

bloma

Post by bloma » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:37 pm

It is cool to hear that everything went good. The rescuers did the great job!
To want to, is to be able to.