Quantcast
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:43 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:08 pm 

Hello everyone,

It saddens me to have to write this post. But it is best to warn others who will frequent the area.

On Sunday evening March 29 at about 8 p.m. my girlfriend and I were robbed at knifepoint by two men at Eland Krans campsite at Waterval Boven. Fortunately we were not injured.

Two men approached us at the main ablutions block and put a knife to my girlfriend's throat. They stole a variety of things including a camera and a wallet. Then they took off running towards the pool, presumably to the trail back down to the town.

We hopped in our truck and headed up to the gate. The security man there told us that he couldn't call the police and that we had to go into town on our own to get them. The police sent a car up to the campsite and another to where the trail empties back in town. Unfortunately, they came up emptyhanded.

Fortunately we didn't have any problems when climbing and we have heard of no other incidents on the crags. We did, however, hear that another group of campers had a backpack and sneakers stolen the night before our incident at the same campsite!

Be careful out there!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:41 pm 

Sorry to hear about it. It really puts one off, eh? Most people stay at Tranquilitas now and I've not heard of any incidents there. Try that next time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:42 pm 

Hi Alex

Really sad to hear about your experience. I hope your girlfriend and you will soon be able to get over the trauma of the experience. Can I ask why you were camping at Elandskrans? There are enough posts on this forum and others to warn against camping there. Locals strongly suspect the involvement of the security guards. If you camp at Elandskrans you will get robbed, period.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:44 pm 

I'm sorry to say, having had all my gear stolen there (and dumped in the veld, to be found a couple of months later), gf's camera setup, clothes etc, I have to agree with Danny's post - I can not see how (at least some of) the staff at Elandskrans are not involved. I also had to fetch the police myself, and none of the staff helped in any way whatsoever.

It's a real pity, but those are the facts - don't stay there.

Camping at Tranquilitas: you won't be sorry, it's a lovely venue - do yourself a favour!!!

Just don't park in front of the Wonderland gate ...... :pirat: :lol:
o, and certain campers there snore like mad.....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:32 pm 

We stayed at Elandskrans campsite because it is recommended on climbing.co.za !?

See here: http://climb.co.za/wiki/index.php?title ... n_and_Food

Maybe someone can update the "accommodation" part to warn people about Elandskrans....?

Also, the first two nights we stayed at the campsite there were other climbers and some hikers there. Even some locals recommended it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:45 pm 

Agree with you there A, they better update the wiki page quickly!
A pity though that elanskrans is in such a state but on the other side the campsite at tranquilitas is getting better every time i visit. Now knowing that staff of Elans must be involved I would avoid parking there as well, I think gustaf arranged parking at the place next door for a small fee you can park inside. Lets hope the crags will stay safe as the crags around elands have some stunning climbing!

W :afro:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:07 pm 

No offense, but:

1: The wiki recommends Roc 'n Rope Climbers' Lodge, not Elandskrans. It merely states that it's under new management, as many know it was closed for a long time.

2: Who's "they"? Why don't you guys update the wiki, seeing as it's open to the community to update and improve?