Quantcast
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:12 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Meeting Mr. RAB
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:45 pm 

In our fortunate position here in Waterval Boven, we have had the privilege to meet some prolific, famous and well, rather infamous climbers over the years. You have a rather good chance of being one of them if you are reading this.

Sad part of the story is that we actually have to do some work and can't always spend our undivided attention with everybody that comes through here. This morning a group of 4 climbers booked out after spending some time here in 'Boven with a good break through the Kruger Park in between. They were not youngsters by a long shot and soon enough we learnt that they were actually retired and loving life at the moment (except for having chased bad weather all over SA, until they came here!).

Alex spent a while talking to them and told me later about the connection, this was Rab Carrington who started the famous clothing range from Sheffield! I have been in a strange headspace lately and it did not really sink in until they left this morning - I did a quick Google search.

Wow!

Now I am not one for ooooh-ing and aaaaah-ing about who I've met in my life etc. If I would meet the president of a country I'd treat him with due respect and make the most of the short time I'd have, if ever. But cheese karamba, I just waived farewell to a president indeed. THE president! One that I much rather care to meet that any other president I can think of in my current state of surprise! Can you guess?

He is a super guy, humble as can be, still climbing hard (harder than me at the moment! :oops: ). And if I, not that I believe in having regrets, would meet again, I would have more good chuckles and definitely another drink!

Check out the links!
http://www.prlog.org/10234057-rab-carrington-elected-as-new-british-mountaineering-council-president.html
http://www.thebmc.co.uk/Feature.aspx?id=1685
http://www.mountain-heritage.org/entity.php?ID=133
http://www.andy-kirkpatrick.com/stories/view/c_is_for_rab_carrington/

013 257 0363
climb @t rocrope dot com

Post subject: Re: Meeting Mr. RAB
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:29 pm 

Gus, I and a few others also had the honour to meet Rab (and his climbing partner Mark) this past weekend in Boven. We all also had no idea of the extent his accomplishments. We were all very impressed with his friendly and fun nature but you have put it all in a new light. Rab is clearly a man who is also the epitome of humility - hopefully he is rewarded with more sunshine on upcoming climbing trips!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:35 am 

Here is their trip report:

Quote:
Our trip to South Africa

Unfortunately our trip to South Africa this November was dogged by bad weather. At the beginning of the month we flew in to Cape Town and had 3 days climbing there. Whilst there we climbed on Table Mountain (in the cloud), then had a an afternoon on Lions Head Granite before a final day at The Mine clipping bolts. Here we had good weather and had an excellent day cragging.

From Cape Town we headed north to Cedarberg. Though the weather was good for travelling, as soon as we got our tents set up the weather deteriorated. By morning the it was raining and so it continued for 36 hours. At the end of that time the weather forecast was tipping the rain to continue for the next 5 days. We departed for Monyagu.

At Montagu we stayed at the De Bos Farm where we were made more than welcome by Stu and Regula. They recommended the best crags to visit and we had a great stay there for the next 6 days. At Montagu we were blessed with good weather and we had great days on Bosch Crag, Skull Crag and The Palace in Bad Kloof. Though we didn’t manage to climb with him, he was doing his Saturday morning shopping, we met up with Ed February which was a great honour for us all.

From there we headed out to Harrismith and Mount Everest. Days of driving through perfect weather saw us approaching the distant clouds. By the time we were at Mount Everest it was drizzling and bitterly cold. The next two days we were able to walk but too wet to climb so we headed North to Waterfall Boven.

At WB we booked into chalet accommodation with Gustav and Alex then drove up to Tranquillitas. We managed one damp climb that day before the heavens opened up once again and we had a further 24 hours of non stop rain. This time we felt completely trapped as the dirt road was now impassible and we were stuck in the chalet. Luckily on the next day the weather improved and we had 5 days climbing. The wet weather meant that ,many of the routes were wet, even on Rainy Day crag. However we did do some great routes on Rainy day and God No! wall.

Then, with the great help of Alex, we organised a trip to the Kruger Nat’l Park where we spent 2 nights. The visit to the Park was better than we ever dared imagine with close up sightings of Lions, Cheetahs, Elephants, Rhinos etc etc. A wonderful experience not to be missed where you can view the animals from your own car and in near solitude. Fantastic!

We then went back to Tranquillitas for a final 3 days climbing and meeting up with many South African Climbers as it was the week end.

All in all we had a great trip to South Africa, the rock climbing was excellent as were all the people we met. My only disappointment was the bad weather and the fact that we couldn’t climb or walk in Cedarberg.

013 257 0363
climb @t rocrope dot com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:42 pm 

I ran into 'Mr Rab' and partner, although I had no idea who he was.
Rab was climbing pretty well, despite the rain coming down!!

I happened to take a few photos - see below.

Attachments:
File comment: Rab Carrington on 'If I stay it will be double' (24) at Sloth Crag, Badkloof
mr_rab_image_3.jpg
mr_rab_image_3.jpg [ 71.03 KiB | Viewed 1047 times ]
File comment: Rab Carrington on 'If I stay it will be double' (24) at Sloth Crag, Badkloof
mr_rab_image2.jpg
mr_rab_image2.jpg [ 67.17 KiB | Viewed 1048 times ]
mr_rab_image1.jpg
mr_rab_image1.jpg [ 82.61 KiB | Viewed 1047 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:01 pm 

Nice :thumright

013 257 0363
climb @t rocrope dot com