Quantcast
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:42 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Magaliesberg kloof names
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:03 pm 

Excerpts from an article I stumbled upon:

"Eastward still from there behind Remhoogte lies Buddlea Kloof. When I explored it and named it on a bitter winter 1st of July in 1934, I went with Cooper Partridge, opening a climb on the west side of the gully in a south wind so strong that my rope floated like a pennant in a gale, and the kloof was choked with the sweet-scented bush after which it was named. We had had to drive through drifts where now there are bridges and the area was lonely, untroubled by man. We disturbed a leopard, and buck were aplenty."

"We looked around and admired the solemn scene so seldom observed and left, calling the kloof Krantz Kloof - and found afterwards that that name is the one by which the kloof is known to the local inhabitants. This is the only case where the club gave a name to a kloof coinciding with the original name."

Full article: http://www.eastrandhikingclub.co.za/_articles.mb.html

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:45 pm 

I want to know how named the buttresses on the Apostles as they do seem unrelated, but I suppose I could research if I really cared for the history.

Thanks for the info.