Towerkop beta

Swop tips on moves, route conditions, etc.
Joshiva

Towerkop beta

Post by Joshiva » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:44 pm

Hi there,
So a couple friends and I are planning an outing to Towerkop shortly. Has anyone been up recently and is able to comment on the water situation, or is anyone within sight of the water driven signal light? Also I'd like to hear from the community regarding lines they've really enjoyed and can recommend, preferably within the 17-22 grade range. I have the PDF and have looked one of the MCSA entries, would like to hear from other people that have checked it out if they're willing to share some stories and tips. Many thanks

keith james

Re: Towerkop beta

Post by keith james » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:18 am

The water situation in the Swartberg is pretty dire at the moment, and it doesn’t help that most of the area is burnt. I haven’t checked Towerkop recently, but a strong spring on Seweweekspoortberg that has been reliable for decades was dry when I checked it 12 days ago.

Regarding routes on Towerkop, one of my favorites on the east side is the direct line up from Keen’s Block ( starting a meter south of the block itself) - exposed, continuous at the grade, mostly decent rock, 17-ish, run out in places ( only a skimpy rack required ie, nuts and a few small cams). the same can be said for the impeccable “Space Captain”, on the north side of the west peak, except perhaps a grade harder. If you want something a bit more badassed, and mostly in the shade, then “western flyer” is pretty good (21 with a move or two of aid).

Joshiva

Post by Joshiva » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:00 pm

Nice one Keith! Really appreciate your input :) Will be sure to take plenty of water

Marshall1

Post by Marshall1 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:28 pm

We walked in today, water cave is good. Water levels are normal. Lower stream is stronger than last year.9