Quantcast
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:29 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Thantos - Grade ?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:34 pm 

What is the grade of this route at Wave Cave , KZN (extension to Barricade) ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:25 pm 

It goes at 33, good luck to you! :D Wait for winter if you're planning any trips to the cave. Too hot and humid in summer!

Post subject: Extension?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:40 pm 

Hmmm - didn't know you could extend Barricade any more unless you enjoy climbing up a sandy slope through the thorny cycads. Unless you mean Paul Bruard's little left hand jolly that doesn't appear to have any real holds on it? Surely this is was and may even still be the hardest route in SA. Maybe Clint and Juz need to go and get some exercise? Did I just throw the gauntlet down? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:10 pm 

Well, well, well. A gauntlet you say :shock:

The left hand jolly it must be. My advice to the 'ard men who come a knockin is that for 'Thanatos (33 sandbag?)' they

1. Witness the fitness -- If you're still capable of a lefthand jolly bouldering excursion after sending the meat of Barricade, it had better feel like a warm up jug haul.

2. Ask Paul for the Beta -- I hear he's good at finding the classy sequences for the tricky sections.

3. Do it on the quiet so you don't embarress the mortals among us :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:24 am 

What about Eros? The leftward extension to Sip & Fly... I may be wrong, but the last I heard, it hasn't had a repeat since Paul opened it in 2001. Rumour has it that it's thought to be marginally harded than Thanatos...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:39 am 

Thanatos is the thing that wanders off to the left near the top of Barracade.

As far as I know it has never been repeated. It would be good to get the grade confurmed.

Paul also did a route he called Aeros, which I think was a similar grade, but is also not confirmed. I think it is the one that goes from the top of \"Sip n Fly\" left a bit and then straight to the lip. There is also an open project being the extension to \"invertigo\" that ends at the same place. Both these routes saw a bit of traffic last year but were never redpointed.

Time to start getting fit, Cave season starts in about 8 weeks time!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:00 pm 

Never repeated yet ! Makes you wonder...could this maybe some of the hardest routes at that grade in SA ? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:02 pm 

Howdy

I think Eros is slightly easier than Thanatos. But Thanatos seems so long ago it's hard to tell. Certainly is a long bastard. Benjy was apparently quite close to Eros. The final cruz through the roof of Thanatos had me stumped and I gave it up for a few months. Came back and figured it out. Maybe this is why its got a reputation for being tricky, but it may just be that I was young and stupid. Regardless, whoever gets on it is welcome to mail me for beta: paul.brouard@gmail.com . Would love to hear of a second ascent.

Cheers

Paul