It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:34 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:18 pm 

Hi all,
I’m taking a holiday break at Kromrivier soon. Besides the fact that Tuitjies Kraal is out of bounds for some sport climbing :cry: , are there any easy trad routes around ( I only recently started leading trad), and secondly which of the easier routes at the Wolfberg comes recommended.

Many thanks

Merlot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:32 pm 

Wolfberg is just around the corner and has some good easy stuff. Also the Sandrif crag is pretty rad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:33 am 

Many years ago, back when the earth was still a perfect sphere, I did a couple of trad lines at Breekkrans (the MCSA property next door to Kromriver).
From the campsite/old hut/ braai area, find the path leading down to the river. Single pitch trad routes take you back up to the braai area.
I've long forgotten the RD's and grades but all the ones I did were quite easy.
Go explore and enjoy.
Iain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:18 pm 

For easier routes at Wolfberg, take a squiz at the PDF RDs on the site put together by Gordon Forbes (1979 & 1986 MCSA journals). We did Eclipse and Grand Mere recently and both are damn good value for the whopping grade of F2 (~14/15). Fun, exciting and exposed pitches. The top E2 (~10) traverse on Grand Mere has got be one of the best \"grade 10\" pitches around. Have fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:15 pm 

There are several superb quality trad routes on Apollo Peak. Well worth the the rather long walk. Otherwise walk around the Sugarloaf from Kromrivier, and do any of the the numerous excellent routes on The Pup (overlooking the Maltese Cross).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:24 pm 

Thanks guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:59 pm 

Hi all,

Very curious as to whether there are any RD's for Apollo Peak and/or The Pup? Went walking in the Cederberg recently and both these mountains look like they have serious potential for lines, especially Apollo.

Keen to make a trip back sometime with some RD's if anyone has any.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:53 pm 

The original Pup routes did appear in an MCSA journal some years ago. I know various routes have been done since then but are still unrecorded. The first of the proper routes on Apollo routes appeared also in the journal in the early seventies. This Mike Scott / Paul Fatti route is well worth doing and was the inspiration for the routes I opened with various partners in the early 90's. I have taken various people there over the years, and repeated several of my routes, but never recorded them. Always meant to. I suggest you just go up there and climb whatever looks good and don't worry about the grade, the name, or the RD, and have a truly awesome, almost wilderness, experience. Good for the soul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:32 pm 

Hi so I did go to Kromrivier earlier this year, Got a route guide from reception for what I think was called Baboon Rock a prominent pile of large rocks behind the campsite. Not exactly a classic crag, but there are some routes zigzagging over the small face. Ideal for learning or perhaps for those extreme hangover days. Not so scary but definitely worth going to is the spots climbing at Dwarsrivier – Awesome crag.