Quantcast
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:57 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:31 pm 

Hi everybody,

We are a French couple (20 and 30years old) coming for a climbing trip in SA. We usually climb something like 24 to 28 in sport routes, and we are kind and gentle pepole ! :afro:

The actual programm wich may vary, depending on what we find locally, and the people we meet there is :
- 23 to 27 may : Durban and surroundings... trying to climb there, but it seems not have so much things to climb there... ?!!!
- 28 may to 3 june : Taking the road (bus/train?!!) to Cape Town, making some stops to visit the parks.... and climbing above all, in particular at Oudtshoorn and Montaigu
- a few days to visit CP and surrondings
- 5 to 15 june : going to boulder in amazing Rocklands !!!! 8)

We are arriving the 23rd of may, so we might go climbing the 25-26-27 of may in around durban, if some climbers are ok to make us discover the sites... or can offer accomodation for one or 2 nites that would be great ! In any case, just send us a message on the private section, if some dudes are ok to show us a bit the surroundings and possibilly to come and climb with us !

Cheers
Manon and Brice

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:08 pm 

brice wrote:
Durban and surroundings... trying to climb there, but it seems not have so much things to climb there... ?!!!

:shock: how could you say that!

Tons of climbing spots here in the most beautiful province in SA (yes Capetonians, I did actually say that. Any way, our mountains are bigger than yours :lol: )

Go and check http://kzn.mcsa.org.za/climbing/route-guides for a list of places. Rumdoodle at Kloof Gorge has a few sport routes (as well as a few other spots around the general area), but most of our climbing in KZN is trad. There is the really epic sport route called "Not So Auto" (graded 26 or H3 on the SA system, I think that's about 7b on the French system) in the Drakensberg. 6 pitches of tough climbing on a 300m wall! And that after a 15km walk in!

If trad or our limited supply of sport routes isn't enough for you, consider doing some hiking or general sight seeing around the province. Places like Oribi Gorge, St Lucia and my second home - the Drakensberg mountains - are really worth the visit :thumleft:

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:09 pm 

Hi Ghaznavid,

I haven't wanted to be rude or pretentious asking for some climbing around Dyrban... I am preparing my trip, just with internet, and that s a really good media, with a lot of informations... This Wiki in particular is really usefull and well-done... but doesn't repalce reality (yet)! So once there, I ll buy the guide book about the climbing in the KwaZulu Natal area. Anyway, I am now sure they are plenty of huge things to climb around Durban... some even bigger than mines ! :wink:

We do a bit of trad... but the thing is that travelling for one month and going to boulder to Rocklands... that s not an easy thing to carry all the rag with us... so we ll limit the weight taking just the rope and quickdraws... so on this trip we ll limit ourselves to sports climbing and bouldering.

We might take the time to go hiking, so we ll probably have a look at Oribi Gorge and the Drakensberg mountains ! :thumright

Chhers
Brice

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:20 pm 

Im from durban, Im free during that period and climb roughly the same grade as you...and I dont mind showing you guys around, what do you have in terms of gear and where in durban you will be staying?

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:17 am 

@Brice - Kzn is definitely worth a visit. The weather is perfect this time of year, it's starting to get wet in the Cape now.
Umgeni Valley is one of the best spots, with tons of routes at your grade.
Howick Falls is a really fun setting with great climbing.
Kloof Gorge is closer to Durban, has loads of good climbing.
You should take a look a Wit Umfolozi. It is just a stunning place to stay for a week or so, the accommodation is cheap and really nice, and the climbing superb!! It is also close to some of the best game parks around. I would really recommend spending some time there.
Have fun!

@Ghaznavid - "limited sport in KZN"!? KZN boasts some of the best sport climbing in the country, and there is enough to keep anyone busy for many, many years! I have been climbing for 10 years and have only sampled a very small percentage of what's here...
As for "not so auto", I think it's only seen two or three ascents. Not to be taken lightly, and I think the grade is closer to 29

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:55 am 

joshpickering wrote:
@Ghaznavid - "limited sport in KZN"!? KZN boasts some of the best sport climbing in the country, and there is enough to keep anyone busy for many, many years! I have been climbing for 10 years and have only sampled a very small percentage of what's here...

Noted :pirat:

joshpickering wrote:
As for "not so auto", I think it's only seen two or three ascents. Not to be taken lightly, and I think the grade is closer to 29

Looks like a smooth wall of rock when viewed from the top of Sterkhorn. Being less than vertical, I imagine its almost entirely smearing moves...

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:59 am 

Taking the road from Natal to the Cape may seem like the hard way, but you will certainly see a lot of beautifule scenary, so driving a rental is not the worst option.

If you are pressed for time then fly (bus & train not so great in SA)

Otherwise have a lovely trip

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:13 pm 

Quote:
most of our climbing in KZN is trad

Really??????
Geez, what have I (a lazy sport climber) been keeping myself busy with all these years? :wink:

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:02 pm 

As an ex-Durbanite currently residing in Cape Town I look back longingly at the superb sport climbing offered round Durbs: Cape Town has two crags worth my time, one is seasonal and the other relatively small. What depresses me about this thread is no one has mentioned the Shongweni area, implying that it isn't safe- Illona what is the current situation there? People also forget crags like Old Shongweni, with was recently rebolted and host stunning routes like Painted Desert.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:08 pm 

Wazzer, we have made a few trips to Mag wall this year. But always in big groups and not yet to our beloved Wave Cave. I guess just erring on the side of caution, unsure of whether there is even a safety issue or not. But for the meantime I have been so distracted with Canyon (inner and outer wall), Umgeni and the many other crags around here (as well as trips further afield to Boven) that I haven't given it serious thought.
Psssssst, new routes coming to Canyon soon. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:34 pm 

illona wrote:
Quote:
most of our climbing in KZN is trad

Really??????
Geez, what have I (a lazy sport climber) been keeping myself busy with all these years? :wink:

Apparently I need to get out and do more climbing...

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:48 pm 

Sport climbing in SA? Waterval Boven is a must!!!! not saying the other places aren't good, just that you will feel cheated not visiting this venue :afro:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:13 pm 

Hi everybody,

Our climbing trip is (unfortunately) finsihed now, we have returned back to our place and work :(

Anyway this trip was awsome and we were really enthusiastic to discover and climb in Rocklands.... but we 've also enjoyed a lot seeign other sectors and meet the climbing community of SA ! So we really want to thanks every climber we 've met in SA for their kindness, welcoming, and disponibility :

THANKS A LOT !!! to (in order of appereance) :
- Illona (and Matthew wich gave me your number ;-)
- Duncan
- Roland, the bread-machine !
- Candice
- Dereck Marshall and Caroline

Manon and Brice

PS : we have'nt been able to go to Oudtshoorn, and we really miss that... plus we have a couple of unfinished projects in Rocklands... so we might get back some days to SA... who knows ! :afro: