Quantcast
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:39 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:36 am 

Hi,

I'm planning a visit to SA between Jan/Feb 2014 (approximately 3 weeks) starting in Cape Town and possibly trekking along the Helderberg and if time permits the Drakensberg mountains as well as paying a visit to the Kruger National Park (wildlife viewing is a must). Climbing and hiking to the top of Table Mountain is also on my list and hopefully hitting Rocklands and any other locations people might suggest via this post.

I'm looking for interested parties to join me on any of these activities or suggestions about climbing/hiking groups and finding a climbing partner. I emphasize safety at all times whether is climbing or hiking and I have the proper training for safely lead-climb trad, building anchors, belaying, escaping the belay or having to ascend the rope in case of an emergency. I'm planning to bring all my trad gear and rope although I'm a bit worried about where to store gear/belongings if I end up trekking local mountains. So your feedback/suggestions are welcomed :cat:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:55 pm 

Hi Carmen,
I will be in South Africa from December 05 till January 13. I plan to go to CapeTown and do some climbing and I'd love to hike table mountain.
I have been climbing for just over a year and have done some outdoor climbing and a handful of leads. When do you plan on being in Cape Town?

Greg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:55 pm 

Three weeks is a short time to accomplish what you have listed and it would be highly unlikely that on arrival you will find partners to seamlessly fit your schedule. Consider thinning out your bucket list.

Rocklands is hot and not really visited this time of year, rather aim for bouldering on the peninsula.
Kruger will be very hot and humid, but I suppose foreigners visit at any time of the year. Take some prophylactic and make sure your car is air conditioned.
This time of year, more pleasant climate for hiking in Western Cape and always better climbing (:lol:)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:32 pm 

Hi Carmen, if you're flying back from JNB in the time from 26.01. - 07.02. you are welcome to discover some trad climbs with me in Gauteng. Have a look at my post.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:20 pm 

Hi Carmen, I am going to be in the Western Cape from 7 - 20 Jan and in Waterval Boven from 21 - 25 Jan. I will be on vacation and want to get in as much climbing as possible. I am a sport climber, so I plan to climb in places with lots of bolts - Montague, Truitjieskraal, and Silvermine on the Cape peninsula. I have been climbing for 6 years and know the areas mentioned above relatively well. Let me know if you are interested.
Like henkg said, Rocklands will be very hot at that time of year. I'd only visit Truitjieskraal (also in the Cederberg) if a weak front came through.
Paul