Climbing partner MID-AVRIL to MID-JUNE, Cape Town, Montagu, Boven..

Find someone to climb with... anywhere
laura09

Climbing partner MID-AVRIL to MID-JUNE, Cape Town, Montagu, Boven..

Post by laura09 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:52 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm a 25 years old French girl. I'd like to travel around South Africa from mid-April to mid-June in order to climb and surf. This country seems to be the right place for that. I'd like to organise my trip that way: starting the journey in Cape Town, exploring the different south-west climbing sites (toward Cederberg Mountain or Oudsthoorn) and enjoying the waves (between two climbing sessions) when the weather conditions are good.

Then I may go exploring North East sites, toward the well known Waterval Boven and potentially go back to Cape Town through a climbing site around Lesotho. I don't have more precise plan in mind and I want to leave room for the unexpected. It also depends on the people I'll meet and their climbing wishes! :)

So I'm looking for climbing and/or surfing partners who'd like to participate in this whole trip or just join for a while.
I'm a very sociable person and I'm able to adapt :)

I also have a few questions in mind, if someone has time to help me:

- Where should I sleep when I arrive if I want to meet climbers ? And afterwards ? Camping ? Sleeping in a car (is it really dangerous ?)
- I'd like to travel economically but I think some climbing sites are unreachable without a car. So are there any good deals to rent a car in Cape Town ?

If someone is interested or if someone may help me with my queries, you can contact me via WhatsApp or e-mail!
Thanks a lot!

Laura

CarlP

Re: Climbing partner MID-AVRIL to MID-JUNE, Cape Town, Montagu, Boven..

Post by CarlP » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:24 am

Hi Laura,

Sounds like an awesome trip you've got planned. I'm from Johannesburg, and may be able to join up with you part of your trip, especially Johannesburg/Boven side. I'm available to climb a lot mid-week and am looking for climbing partners. I'm also thinking of a trip to Cape Town around June till Aug, but nothing fixed yet. I'll PM my contact details to chat further.

Some answers to your questions:

To meet up with climbers, there is CityRock climbing gym in Cape Town and Johannesburg. Hopefully some Cape Town locals can suggest where to sleep when you arrive.
At Boven, there is Tranquilitas Farm for camping/perma-tent/chalet, or backpackers lodge in town. It's very easy to find climbing partners in Boven, especially at the camp site.

You will definitely need a car, public transport won't get you to the crags. Sleeping in a car in the middle of nowhere is asking for trouble, rather find a campsite for staying overnight.

Carl

Chris F

Post by Chris F » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:36 pm

For starters, a single female sleeping in a car in SA is definitely not advised, for safety reasons. I would recommend you avoid this if at all possible.

Secondly, if you are after surfing and climbing, for 2 months i would consider concentrating your time on the Cape Town area, with a hire car. If you want to visit Wateval Boven too (which I would recommend, it is fantastic), you could always make use of an internal flight to Joburg or Nelspruit and then try and arrange transport from there, but doing any long drives and trying to road trip will eat into you rock and water time, unless you want to take it easy for a few days and see some of the country.

Bon Chance!

Viking

Post by Viking » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:52 pm

Why put yourself though all that cold wet Cape weather and freezing sea temps when you can climb and surf in KZN? #justsaying

There are loads of backpackers and campsites and friendly climbers that would host you.. AND our dams actually have water in them.

carldreyer 5 at gmail dot com

Chris F

Post by Chris F » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:06 pm

It's a damn good point!

laura09

Post by laura09 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:09 pm

Hey Viking,
Cold water does'nt detered me :) I've always surfed in 14°-18°water in France...so my wet suit never left me ;) But in France we used to surf with cute seals sometimes at worst... not sharks! Are there more "secured" coasts/spots than others?
Could you recommend me some campsites? In Cape Town or somewhere else.
Thank you !

Laura

Chris F

Post by Chris F » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:21 pm

14 degrees is toasty by West Coast SA standards.

In CT city centre you would be better off staying at a backpacker's hostel. Warmer, drier, probably cheaper and a lot more sociable. A few options at Muizenburg to get you started off on your trip.

tonybubb

Post by tonybubb » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:28 pm

I'll be in town briefly, arriving April 20, departing April 22.
On April 21, I'd love to go climb some moderate trad routes on Table Mountain.
I presume to be traveling with just my harness and shoes, but could bring more gear if needed.

I have ~30 years experience leading trad up to 5.12 USA grades, but am recovering from shoulder surgery. I got out for the first day since autumn and climbed 5.9 without much trouble.
I am looking for a partner who is solid and experienced and who can move light and fast on traditional routes. I'd rather have fun than push myself hard. If you have trad gear, that's a huge plus.

Does this describe you?

Viking

Post by Viking » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:42 am

I've sent you a pm about the Lesotho leg of your trip.