Quantcast
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:31 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: malawi climbers!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:47 pm 

hey everyone,

i'm an american living in zambia right now, in petauke, but i go to chipata (close to malawi) and am looking for any climbers in malawi. i've heard about climbing at mulanje, mitimba waterfalls & on the malawi/tanzania border. im planning on visiting malawi with another climber july 1- 5 and a lot more later. if there are any climbers in malawi out there, hit me up at dianacwu(at)gmail.com!! we're experienced (so you won't be a belay slave) and we're willing to provide the booze. =)

thanks!
diana

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:51 pm 

http://www.climbing.co.za/phpBB2/viewto ... ght=malawi

May help. There was a Mountain Club Malawi newsletter on our club notice board some weeks back. I''ll get the info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:24 pm 

hey marshall thanks a lot for your help. any info you can find is very very appreciated. i haven't been able to find much to climb out here, and am hoping to find some good stuff in malawi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:18 am 

There is suposed to be bouldering on the shores of Lake Malawi. But she is huge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:36 am 

http://www.alardsbigwallclimbing.com/Malawi.htm

Post subject: mulanje etc.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:04 am 

i used to live in blantyre, and climbed a line in the middle of the chambe east face on mulanje. it was a beautiful route, in a pretty stunning area.
climbing on mulanje is reasonably serious and committing - you're in the middle of nowhere. the rock is generally good, but often vegetated and/or grimy, and you'll deal some pretty long run-outs.

try to get hold of the Mulanje guide by Frank Eastwood - it has a bunch of route descriptions, of varying accuracy. most of the good stuff is on chambe, and the west face is supposedly the biggest wall in africa (the alard hufner website posted)

i also did a bunch of cragging around chiradzulu, near blantyre and on the viphya plateau. the northern lakeshore (around and above nkhata bay) has a plenty of bouldering potential (and the landings couldn't be more fun - splash!)

good luck!

there's plenty of rock dotting the landscape in malawi, but its all real bush-climbing - you see something interesting, have a look around, climb from the ground up, and hopefully find an easy way off.