Quantcast
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:27 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:15 pm 

I am thinking of a 10 week trip to rocklands. I am from the UK and will be flying into cape town, I have climbed in Europe, India and USA and all ways wanted to get to South Africa.

Do you need a car to get to and survive in rocklands ?

If so would some one be able to give me a lift up to rocklands and show me around the place a bit ?

I have read travel info about SA on the net, but just want to ask climbers if they think cape town and rocklands is safe/dangerous ?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:13 pm 

you don't need a car...

we just telleport there...

sorry S.A.

i couldn't help myself... :oops:

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:31 pm 

thank you for insightful comment, I was think along the lines of Alternative options. any one with any thing helpful to say is most welcome unlike the previous crettin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:54 pm 

i can live with being called that, but just for once i'd like to give ya my opinion...

i get 'gatvol'(a GREAT sarfefrikan word) of some foreigners (not all) who think, or even sound like they're thinking, that you can get aids by just walking down the street in my beautiful country, or get eaten by wild monkeys, or what ever is out to 'get you' in this 'savage land'...

you, dude, say you do 'think', and that someone should give you some sound advice or something, well, i just did, i care...

its as safe as life can be, its beautiful, its vast (so get a car), and its downright awesome in my country! you'll look long and hard to find a more pristine and diverse spot in the universe, so treat us with a bit more dignity...

now, if you can't 'survive' my \"dangerous/'un'safe\" comments, you might not make it here... growllll...(that cretin for: eks nou rerig gatvol vir ouens soos hierdie klong... is ek te sterk met hom? ek weet nie... moes seker 'n bietjie sagter gepraat het... jis, ek dink hy gaan nou baie stress met hierdie oertaal van ons...hehehe)

piece duud

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:42 pm 

Brollocks don't be an ignoramous!
I'm afraid the pedastal which you shout from about SA has been removed long ago.
Have you read the newspapers or looked out the door lately, foreigners are getting killed just for being foreigeners. Surely the guy has a right to ask about his safety??

Wake up and smell the zenephobia and crime. It's rank.
Beautiful, yes. Savage, yes.

Hey, Danuk ignore the crettin, they're everywhere.
You would defintely need a car if you're on your own.
Cape Town is as safe as any other large city you find around the world. However Rocklands on the other is an entirely different issue, and is (IMO) totally safe and worry free at the climbing areas.
I'm sure you'll find someone willing to give you a lift (what with the petrol prices these days) if you split the petrol costs. Stop by the local climbing gym if nothing comes up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:22 am 

Hi Dan,

Ideally you would like to rent a car while here, there are cheap options available and with the exchange rate as it is you should be laughing. Apparently if you book cars online you save like 20% or something. Otherwise there are people travelling to and from Rocklands every weekend so it should be pretty easy to get a lift up there. A car is usefull when you up there as some of the area's are pretty far apart and you need to drive to Clanwilliam occasionally to get supplies.

When you get to rocklands there will be climbers there who can show you around. Rocklands is perfectly safe.

Cape Town is safe if you stay in the more central area's. Apart from that it can be deadly if you dont where you are going :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:10 pm 

he danman, yeah, i hope you can ignore brollock's rant - dunno what he was digesting; actually a cool guy.......

not much to add to what the other guys were saying and if you specify a date you might be able to organise a lift and company via this forum (we're going from 23 august for instance). and it is fairly easy to stay out of trouble if you use common sense and good judgement. so come visit bru. there is other world class climbing spots that you might want to visit as well - table mountain; montagu; waterfall boven etc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:01 pm 

Thanks for your help, I have looked into renting a car, and price is just about ok. I hope I can get out to rocklands this time, as the place looks great. It is possible I will see some of you in rocklands

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:26 pm 

Dan, if you want to stay in Rocklands most of the time, my advice would be to catch a ride from Cape Town (as was said previously, there are guys heading out every weekend) and then chill there. It would be a waste of money to rent a car for the whole time I reckon. If you want to explore then rent a car for those days only. There will also be resident boulderers there who I'm sure will be happy to show you around. In fact, one ginga has even installed a caravan in the campsite for the next 3 months. OUTRAGEOUS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:50 am 

Haha Flex, is that ginga there already? Which side is he staying? PM to keep his location secret...